• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Minecraft EULA: Server Sales, Donations, and other Monetisation.

Mooclan

Forum God
Reaction score
https://mojang.com/2014/06/lets-talk-server-monetisation/
According to a Mojang article released on June 12th, 2014, (today, as of me posting this thread), Mojang has decided where to draw the line concerning servers and money-making.
As many people may know, making money off of Minecraft servers has technically been illegal, but it was overlooked. Mojang recently decided to take matters into their own hands, and discuss this.
I won't go into detail - you'll have to look it up for yourselves, but they've finally posted something which clears things up.

What the article says:
  • You ARE allowed to charge for access to your server. In other words, charging money for people to be whitelisted is allowed. However, the price must be the same for everyone, and you can't let anyone in for free if you're charging other people for it.
  • Donations are still allowed. You can still thank them in public or private, but you cannot treat them differently for donating, or give them access to different parts of the server because of that reason.
  • Adverts and sponsorships are still allowed. Adverts are, I believe, having an ad placed on your server to gain income from it. Sponsorships are, if memory serves, having someone pay you or pay for your server in order to gain credit for it, such as paying for your server, but their name has to be on it.
  • You can NOT sell anything that affects gameplay. Weapons, armor, food, blocks, tools. Nothing like that. However, you CAN sell things that are purely cosmetic, or aesthetic such as hats, pets, nicknames, colored chat, etc. NO CAPES, free or otherwise! I think this includes OptiFine capes.
  • No real-world money for in-game currency. Easy and simple, you just cannot accept real-world money for in-game money.
  • When someone pays or donates to the server, make sure to clarify that you DO NOT represent Mojang. This entire issue was partially caused because Mojang got complaints from parents about their children paying for absurd packages on servers.

Some things that I (or the person who linked me this article) deduced: (please correct me/us if we're wrong.)
Priority - Donor kicking, for example, on MCSG. This is sort of a grey area. You don't pay to play on the server, but you can be temporarily prevented from participating if you are kicked by a donor.
Kits - These are not legal.
Queue priority. For example, on some servers you have to be put in a waiting list for certain things, and donors sometimes get put ahead in that list because of their rank. This is also another grey area.

And now, I open the floor for discussion....
*Stage lights*
*Podium rises from the floor*
"Discuss!"

Zaex

Diamond
Reaction score
first.
But anyways, you know my view, thanks to tamspaek

MoLoToV

Platinum
Reaction score
Alright, my opinion on this...

You are allowed to accept donations from your players. You can thank them publicly, or in-game, but can’t give preferential treatment for donating. You are not allowed to restrict gameplay features in an attempt to make money.
It says that you are not allowed to RESTRICT gameplay features to make money, this would mean ( I think ) that we can still have the donor privilege which let donor kick lower ranks to get into the servers, as it might be annoying for them, but it doesn completely restrict them for playing, nor does the donor is able to enter a server where normal users could not get in.
Normal players are also able to acces the staff castle with the platforms ( might wana make it easier to get there though... )

We don’t mind in-game currencies which are earned through playing, but you are not allowed to sell them for real-world cash. Remember – if the stuff you sell affects gameplay, we’re not cool with it.
Not sure if bounty is considered an in-game currency...

So I think we will be fine.

Mooclan

Forum God
Reaction score
Alright, my opinion on this...

You are allowed to accept donations from your players. You can thank them publicly, or in-game, but can’t give preferential treatment for donating. You are not allowed to restrict gameplay features in an attempt to make money.
It says that you are not allowed to RESTRICT gameplay features to make money, this would mean ( I think ) that we can still have the donor privilege which let donor kick lower ranks to get into the servers, as it might be annoying for them, but it doesn completely restrict them for playing, nor does the donor is able to enter a server where normal users could not get in.
Normal players are also able to acces the staff castle with the platforms ( might wana make it easier to get there though... )

We don’t mind in-game currencies which are earned through playing, but you are not allowed to sell them for real-world cash. Remember – if the stuff you sell affects gameplay, we’re not cool with it.
Not sure if bounty is considered an in-game currency...

So I think we will be fine.
Bounty is used for sponsoring as well. Sponsoring changes the game. Therefore, bounty perks will have to be removed from the donor ranks, or sponsoring will have to be changed.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci