• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

MCGamer Photography Contest

Col_StaR

District 13
Staff member
Reaction score

Photo Courtesy of Dave

MCGamer Photography Contest!
Brought to you by Col_StaR and Leon|TheBluemeerkat

Introduction

Good day tributes,

In a time when the looks of a videogame are often judged solely on how many pixels its textures are made of, we can forget that more goes into a work of art than a number of dots on a screen.

For all its low-resolution textures and block-based aesthetics, Minecraft is surprisingly capable of being beautiful. Where it may lack in high-fidelity lighting, ultra-rich textures, or more features than you can shake a CryEngine at, Minecraft’s beauty comes in its simplicity, color, and form. Blocks are naturally simple to perceive and understand, lending them a credence of simplicity that the human eye can appreciate as a part of a greater whole. Color and contrast were carefully crafted with each of the blocks, and a variety of colors were selected to offer a variety of palettes, each pleasing to the eye. Lastly, perhaps most importantly, Minecraft finds its strength in the forms it can create, using those blocks to make magnificent structures or vast landscapes whose beauty just begs to be appreciated.

This contest will capture a single scene within the Minecraft world, and put the image on a pedestal for all to appreciate. Then we can all appreciate the game which we all share.

Whats this about?

As the title suggests, this is a photography contest, dedicated specifically to Minecraft. Applicants will take images of beautiful scenes within Minecraft, be they landscapes, still lifes, or something more experimental. You don’t even necessarily need to take a picture of something on MCGamer-related; you are free to take the image from any source within Minecraft. There are no laws in art, merely its expression.

The contest will be broken into three phases: Vanilla, Modded, and Total Conversion.

Each level will allow for a different level of alterations to be made to the image itself, thus enabling different effects and styles to be shown. Rules and conditions will be stated below.​

Rules

General Rules
  • Only one image can be submitted per phase per person.
  • Each image must have a minimum length or width of at least 400 pixels; screen-resolution images are suggested.
  • The image must be appropriate for the community, and must not contain any gore, profanity, sexual content, or anything else not PG-rated.
  • Images that are duplicates, direct copies, or recreations of other Minecraft-related images will not be accepted.
  • All general rules still apply, and the staff reserves the right to remove any submission from the contest.
Vanilla Phase Rules:
  • Only Vanilla Minecraft assets can be used.
  • No texture packs.
  • No shaders.
  • No image alteration, such as touching up images in Photoshop, is allowed.
  • No terrain editing programs, such as Hexxit. All terrain must be modified by hand.
  • Having player skins is okay, however, since that is an aspect that exists in Vanilla.
Modded Phase Rules:
  • Texture allowed, but restricted to 64x64.
  • Any shaders allowed.
  • Terrain editing programs, such as Hexxit are allowed.
  • No image alteration, such as touching up images in Photoshop, is allowed.
Total Conversion Rules:
  • Texture allowed, any size.
  • Any shaders allowed.
  • Terrain editing programs, such as Hexxit are allowed.
  • Image alteration and Photoshop is allowed.
  • 3D animation programs, such as 3DSMax, Maya, and Cinema4D are allowed.
  • At least one major asset of your image which draws a significant amount of the audience's focus on the image must be from a vanilla Minecraft photograph (the asset alone must adhere to all of the Vanilla phase rules, as stated above) ; providing the source image along with the edited image will be a requirement.
The judges will move selected images into a certain phase so there is no need to worry about this.​

The Judging Panel
TBA​

Instructions
If you have your images ready, you must upload them to an image-sharing site such as imgur.com

Afterwards, you may submit your images using this form here: LINK.​

Deadlines:
May 1st: Image Submission Form has bee
May 9th: Submission Deadlines.
May 16th: Voting Deadline, Judging Deadline
May 17th: Winners Announced

May 13th: Image Submission Form opens
May 24th: Submission Deadline
May 31th: Voting Deadline, Judging Deadline
June 1st: Winners Announced​

Last edited:

Levah

District 13
Reaction score
Glad to have this up. Good job col on the re-write!

Reaction score
Looks awesome, look forward to seeing the results, makes me wish I didn't have all settings on worst and render tiny, then I could take part, but good luck :D

RC_4777

Mockingjay
Reaction score
As I'm not entirely familiar with Hexxit, I just would like abut more clarification; do things like World Edit count as terrain editing programs? As they do require the user to actually create things rather than generating the terrain, but I'm not sure if they're considered "by hand."

Also, can the photo be taken of a custom map that meets the hand-built criteria if credit is given?

Levah

District 13
Reaction score
As I'm not entirely familiar with Hexxit, I just would like abut more clarification; do things like World Edit count as terrain editing programs? As they do require the user to actually create things rather than generating the terrain, but I'm not sure if they're considered "by hand."

Also, can the photo be taken of a custom map that meets the hand-built criteria if credit is given?
You may use anything in your photo, just not anything in the rules. World edit voxel sniper and other land generating software is allowed.

Levah

District 13
Reaction score
Me and colonel will be talking winnings soon.

MCGamerzism

Platinum
Reaction score
Finally, something that I'm good at comes into hand! However, I adore making screenshots of mcsg maps, but I'm not sure what category that is fit in? Any help plox?!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci