• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

How to PVP, Basics for Beginners

Did this guide help you?

• Total voters

cootoopro

Survivor
Reaction score
How to PVP for Beginners

Basic Principles of PVP in Minecraft Survival Games

Range and Accuracy

Range and accuracy are two key structures in basic sword fighting. To master these is done only by experience and natural instinct. Range is very important and goes hand in hand with accuracy. If you know the exact hit range then it does not matter how skilled your opponent is. Hit fast and accurately as soon as an enemy enters your range. This will create an impenetrable offense. Try to think of the surrounding area in your range as a bubble. As soon as anyone walks in that bubble you attack him or her with the intent of forcing him or her out. Then they will either run or strike again. On their second foray into your range strafe to the side. Do NOT go for critical hits, this may sound crazy but critical hits can often be your downfall in such situations. Once you have strafed begin by hitting this person from the edge of your range while aiming for accuracy rather than damage. In the more advanced stages we will advise on how to properly execute a critical hit on a strafing attack. While attacking aim to move to the rear and flanks of your opponent. Since fighting in minecraft is so linear this will keep most attacks from hitting you. This is a very basic and effective PVP strategy when fighting a single opponent of similar armor and weaponry.

One of the best ways to gain range in Minecraft on attacks is to move underneath your opponent. This is why I was advising you not to critical hit. When someone jumps for a critical hit you have greater range than him or her for about half a second. On a strafe you can exploit this by staying grounded. In water strafing underneath and around your opponent at the same time will leave you untouchable. To do this you must:

-Go lower than your opponent, then hit from underneath

-Once you have done this move backwards so your view is still centered on your opponent but you are behind them. Continue your attack throughout this. If you successfully manage to flank your opponent keep moving around them while still remaining beneath them.

If you are fighting an opponent who is not as skilled as you but is better geared is when this is most effective. Water fighting is truly annoying but a great tool for killing people with better gear. However this strategy is NOT advised in large ocean spaces but rather small deep areas like those in TGS2 and TGS1. There are many areas like this but I will not bother you with them. It is the principle of range, accuracy and movement that is key here.

Movement

Movement is an effective tool when fighting multiple unskilled opponents in a basic brawl, but that is too advanced for now. I will explain that in a later guide. Movement is very important in PVP. You must never stay in your enemy’s view. For what you can’t see you can’t hurt. Never fight honourably, fight to win. Honour is a fool’s prize. When chasing note that sprinting and holding space while make you move faster but it is not always recommended to do so.

While chasing ‘sprint-jumping’ is an effective tool, but chasing is only an element of movement, the elements that I will tutor you in are:
-Chasing

-Retreating

-Movement during PVP

Chasing is one of the most common occurrences in PVP. To succeed in a chase you must be able to critical hit while sprinting, sprint-jump (I know that is pretty basic), have patience and basic fighting skill learned in range and accuracy. When chasing someone the enemy is likely thinking of ways to defeat or already has and is regenerating. You must stop them before either action can be achieved. To do this you must follow directly behind them and their path. This is called slipstreaming. When that person slips up you will have caught up. Once you catch up you have 2 options:

-attack now

-wait to attack later when you have them cornered and they cannot retreat

Both are respectable options. If you are the most geared person in a match and you want deathmatch to come I would advise you wait to corner them. If you attack them now they will be knocked away from you. If you are chasing someone more geared than you I highly recommend attacking straight away. People more geared are an immediate threat and must be neutralised. Another strategy while chasing can be to run your opponents hunger out so they cannot regenerate. This is a slow yet effective strategy. I have only done this once. I found myself chasing a player who had full iron and a diamond sword but no food. I had nothing but a stone sword and lots of food. I chased him for 5 minutes, and then he couldn’t run anymore. I ate a golden apple and attacked him, jumping in and out of his range. I eventually killed him, losing only 1 heart. I then went on to win the game. One of the faster ways to chase someone is to run in the direction of where they are going to be rather than behind them, little by little you will catch up to them and then you can strike. These are the basics of chasing, there is nothing advanced in here. Now I will teach you how to retreat. Keep in mind the strategies I propose will not always guarantee you a win but they will improve your chances. There is only one basic way to gain on people in minecraft. There are more advanced methods involving secondary weaponry but I will explain that in a later guide. When someone is chasing you and you are low you have to regenerate and kill them. This is simple but it is hard. To regenerate you need food. That is why I advise you regularly organise your inventory and keep cooked foods in your hotbar, especially golden carrots and golden apples. Your enemy will usually not give up on chasing you that is why you must know how to resist him/her. First, never slip up; don’t run into slopes and falls where you can avoid them. Try to remain on flat surfaces. To get some distance between you and your opponent so you can eat or consume a golden apple is difficult. This will only work 50% of the time. You have to fake, fake, fake. Go in one direction than quickly swap to another. Make your opponent commit to one direction than quickly change. It is sort of like dribbling in soccer. Or you can quickly turn around and run past your opponent. This will fool most players but you may sustain a hit or two. These are strategies for open flat areas while retreating. Keep another thing in mind, while moving you do not always have to use the mouse to change direction, you can use a and d for slow manoeuvres to then quickly change direction from using the mouse. When being chased on maps you know well, head to chase breakers (parkour, traps, holes, etc.) Traps are excellent chase breakers; use them to kill your opponent. If your opponent avoids the trap you will have had time to eat or extend your lead so you are ready to attack. Parkour is also good; if you are skilled at parkour use it to jump crazily through jump challenges on maps, when you are going upwards you can also hamper your opponent with flint and steel bow etc. But that is all you will hear of weapons apart from the sword in this guide. Most people will give up on parkour if you get too far away from them. To improve my parkour in maps I used to download them and play in single player until I could do it with my eyes closed, or you can practise parkour as a spec. My personal record on the parkour tower on Breeze is 30 seconds. Another great place for ending a chase is a ravine or a very high point on the map. I do this on Breeze when fighting teams. I find a high point and knock them down from there while I am being chased to kill them quickly.

And finally, movement in PVP, movement in PVP is very complicated and instinctive but is the most easily explained. To defeat an opponent using movement in PVP is very effective. You must always try to move around your opponent and strike from behind, once you are behind your opponent, if you have mastered range and accuracy crit hit. This is the fastest way to destroy your opponent. Another key component of PVP movement is sneak attacks. These require patience and cunning. I cannot advise you on how to do these as the situation will be different every time. To learn movement in PVP is hard to explain but I will try. When you fight someone imagine there is a line between you two that you will attack on. This is called the line of attack. This is how most players will fight, on the line. Fighting on the line is one of the easiest habits to fall into. To defeat an opponent you have to break this line. Move out of their way and strike from the sides and behind with speed and ferocity. Circle round. Never fight on the line; you have to pretend you are water, water slips around objects. Be like water, slip around and underneath your opponent, and never fight straight.

THAT IS THE BASIC GUIDE; I HOPE IT HAS HELPED YOU. LATER I WILL RELEASE A GUIDE TUTORING YOU IN THE FINER NUANCES OF MINECRAFT PVP AND SECONDARY WEAPONS, I WILL ALSO BEGIN A YOUTUBE SERIES.REMEMBER THESE BASIC PRINCIPLES AND PUT THEM INTO USE. COMBINE THEM ALL TO BECOME A FORMIDABLE OPPONENT! GOOD LUCK!

I recommend watching videos of skilled PVPers,
e.g. Egrodo, Blamph, etc.

Darby100

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Shouldn't this be in the Tips & Stregies section?

_MK_

Career
Reaction score
Wrong place for this thread!!

Can a Mod come and move this to Tips and Strategies?

Lively

District 13
Reaction score
Thread moved to Tips and Strategies. Have a nice day.

Ordies

Experienced
Reaction score
Funny thing, I was just in game with Egrodo.
Anyways. Block Hitting is a good skill to learn too, it might seem nooby, but it helps massively.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci