• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

How To Be MOTIVATED To Make A MCSG Map

What did you think?

• Yes, this helped me in some way.

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • No it didn't help (write in comments your opinions)

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tinyoneo

Survivor
Reaction score
I cannot tell you enough how many times I personally have made up some amazing ideas for a map, but in the long run, I just end up ditching the whole ordeal and giving up pretty much. Even other people out there just like me, have the same issue, especially if they aren't a 'well known' map building team. Well I'm here to hopefully help. Just keep reading if you are thinking of building a map for the community and also a few tips. Oh and for a warning this is kind of long but I wanted to get all the information I could. So I apologize.

A lot of people think you need to have some 'grand' team to make a successful map. That however, isn't entirely true. It's about the quality not the quantity of a team that makes a map great. Even if it's just a few close buddies making a map, or lets go all out, even if it's just YOU making a map, it's about how well you do it in the long run.
Now that you've got your recruits to make a map, all you need is an idea or two.
Yes you can easily come up with a 'good seeming' idea right off the bat in your head. Seems good, but think about it, perhaps it isn't as creative as you hoped it'd be. Here's a tip, if you need map ideas perhaps thinking back to old books you've read or even movies to get inspired. Tons of books have fantasy and fictional worlds you can cling to for ideas to recreate a possible MCSG map from. But if you're not a reader (which I know a lot aren't) then you can always rely on others like movies I mentioned. But one thing that shouldn’t be a map is a map that not many people would know what it’s from. For example, let’s say you saw a movie that wasn’t too popular and you decide to recreate a map from it, you even name it similar from that, the problem is, not everyone would enjoy that map or know its origin so it’d make people bored of it really quickly. So watch out for that.
Okay so now you've got your idea and you discussed it with your building team and you are ready for action. You jump right onto Minecraft, you got your server and everything set up, the only problem is, you don’t know where to begin.
Here’s what needs to essentially happen. You need to set down guidelines and jobs for your members. Say one of your members is super good at redstone and making traps, well there you go! Every map needs at least a few good redstone gadgets and traps to frustrate and excite the player. But be sure to think of every possible detail you want in your map and with that you can make jobs for your teammates to handle. Every little task counts, whether it’s extra detail on a building, or terraforming (major), it’s all got to be done.
Well now you are going on that map and everything after say, a few days, but something is just not motivating you. Perhaps one of your teammates is slacking or maybe that redstone trap just isn’t perfect and you just feel like you should stop and it’s not worth it anymore. Or maybe you’re just bored of building and you wished those blocks would just build themselves. Well here’s a solution.
Make a check list of what you want done still and how you want everything to look. Check off the things you’ve already done even if you have a bunch of still checked off, it’ll still make your mind think you’ve accomplished a lot. Which is what you want. Now let’s just say you’ve been working on your map for about a month or a few weeks. You feel like you need a break. Go ahead! Take a break, but not for too long. If you feel like you’re beginning to lose interest after a break, you need to get back to your map or you’ll never accomplish what you envisioned to have. Just remember, if this map gets accepted ever, you’ll earn VIP rank, people would recognize you more, and better yet, you can play on your actual map with other random players who get to play it too! How awesome is that?
Alright, now’s the time you finished the map, you and your team thinks it looks good, you went over all the areas and tested all the traps. But one thing to make sure it’s perfected is to do a test run or two with some friends as a ‘mini’ survival games. Check to see if there are any problems with the game play and that there are not areas that players can get lost from (ex. random un-patched holes, or areas you can leave the map from, etc).
So go ahead and submit your map on the ‘finished map’ section on the forums and be sure to post pictures for everyone to impress over! And if you are confident in making a cinematic you can even do that too.
In the end, making a map is tough work and it’s hard to get it accepted. But with confidence, motivation, and a trustworthy team, it’s possible to get it done.
Coming from a ‘veteran’ on these servers, I have played every map, even discontinued maps from way back. It is VERY rare I will actually sit back and enjoy the view of the map and be impressed. I enjoy maps where I don’t just ‘play’ and kill the players of Survival Games, I enjoy maps where I’m not always running around the same areas and subconsciously playing. Personally I like maps where I get a different feeling every time I play it. Also one thing that bugs me are over-played maps, but that’s a different story. Anyways, I hope this thread helped you guys! And good luck.

Oh and post in the comments your thoughts if you'd like!

Old_Spice_

Platinum
Reaction score
Necrolock.

Feel free to PM me with further questions. :D

TotalDramaTony

District 13
Reaction score
Thread Status: Locked

This thread is being moved and locked due to the map/idea not having any progression in a large amount of time. If you need your thread to be reopened, PM a Staff member if this map/idea is still in the works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci