• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

How forum banned people should have a IP ban

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Why because of Xqer coming back and multiple of banned people making alt MCGAMER should put a big old IP forum ban on those people or even do the flick switch cause TBH they are just coming back..

Imanol

Diamond
Reaction score
They can't IP ban, people have been saying it for my whole 2 years on MCSG and they already said why.

Reaction score
They can't IP ban, people have been saying it for my whole 2 years on MCSG and they already said why.
Alright thanks for clearing that up. But there has to be a way to stop them maybe discouragement may do the trick. Also how did Arena Master get IP banned?

Imanol

Diamond
Reaction score
Alright thanks for clearing that up. But there has to be a way to stop them maybe discouragement may do the trick. Also how did Arena Master get IP banned?
I don't think he did, I think it was just a rumor, apparently they tried IP banning and something happened.

Tuatara

District 13
Reaction score
Once a long time ago, a Sr. Moderator banned an IP for a guy who had tons of accounts and kept coming back to screw around. Hacking and Abuse, obviously wrong, and he had a bone to pick with the staff (probably because he didn't like facing consequences to his own actions). Over the next three days, about five or six other players came forward, all reporting that they'd been banned for a reason they were innocent of, and had the records to prove it. We were stumped why they were banned until we realized they were all on the same IP. They explained that they lived in a large apartment complex and that they were leaching off an open WiFi spot; all of it was proven to us before the ban was removed. Ultimately we ended up dealing with the trouble-maker exactly as we do now: persistently banning them, no matter where they come from.

And the type of ban doesn't seem to discourage hackers and trolls either. Hackers don't think with long-term prospects in mind when it involves permanent removal.

~ Col_Star

Lively

District 13
Reaction score
When I was a Sr. mod, I was doing my usual thing and spam cleaning some bots. I cleaned one, and the automatic system decided to ban all the other accounts on that IP. This system is useful as often times spambots come from a few specific IPs, and they're all banned quickly. When I went to go check the forums, I was surprised to find that I had been permanently banned from the forums. Turns out, that spambot was somehow using an internal IP address, and close to a third of the active forumers got banned. This is one of the reasons we don't like to use IP bans. IP bans often obstruct regular players from playing. Just putting this out there.

Evermore

Career
Reaction score
Any internet provider that issues dynamic IPs has a pool of potential IPs to give their customers. When one person has their IP changed, their old IP gets put into the pool and will be issued to another customer.

That poses a huge problem: A player gets IP banned, he changes his IP, his old IP gets issued to another player, that player inherits the ban.

Reaction score
Any internet provider that issues dynamic IPs has a pool of potential IPs to give their customers. When one person has their IP changed, their old IP gets put into the pool and will be issued to another customer.

That poses a huge problem: A player gets IP banned, he changes his IP, his old IP gets issued to another player, that player inherits the ban.
possibly but the chances of that are happening are quite less, as over 2 billion people use the internet while only 250,00 use the forums

Blazerboy | Noah

District 13
Reaction score
well idk if you're friends with any of these players like i am, but its not hard to change an IP...
and this does bring another question - how do forum banned players appeal bans?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci