• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Goodbye Block Glitching

Do you think this will work?

• Yes

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • No

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters

FourthState

Survivor
Reaction score
After some intense thinking I think I've found a way to finally end block glitching once and for all. It wastes the time of moderators, it enables some players to gain access to restricted areas of the map and is generally annoying for the entire community.

Here is an explanation of how block glitching works for those of you who don't know. On your client (your screen) you break a block. Then the information that you have broken this block at this coordinate is sent to the server. The server then says, 'wait you shouldn't be able to break that block.' Then it sends the information back to your computer, re spawning the block in front of you. The reason you can block glitch is because there is a delay between you sending the information to the server and you receiving the information back from the server re spawning the blocks.

Block glitching is easier for people with bad pings as you ping shows you the amount of delay you have between the server. For example, my ping is 8 milliseconds as you can see in my signature. So for me, have to perform the jump and land on the block in front of me in under 8 milliseconds (which is close to impossible). People with higher pings usually have more time between sending and receiving information from the server. And that ladies and gentlemen is how block glitching works.

Now you may say, 'That's all well and good, but how to you stop block glitching?' Well I came up with the solution when working on my redstone computer 'C - Stone' I was in the 1.8 snapshot and was experimenting with adventure mode. In 1.8, using command blocks, you can set a players gamemode to adventure and then identify what blocks have hitboxes! For example, specify that you want leaves, mushrooms, vines etc... to have hit boxes, but for every other block keep it the same as adventure mode and have no hit boxes. Without a hit box no one can block glitching as you can't even start to break the block in the first place!

This is a 1.8 vanilla feature and from experimenting with my multi-purpose redstone computer, I think it should be possible for the Developers to implement this into the MC Gamer plugin saving moderators and players a lot of time and grief.

Tell me what you think!

~ FourthState / Josh

Edit: In 1.8 adventure mode you can choose which blocks/inputs players interact with, e.g. Grass, flowers, leaves, buttons etc... However, any unspecified block doesn't exist even have a breaking sequence or a hitbox, making block glitching theoretically impossible.

Last edited:

demonsushi

District 13
Reaction score
seems very affective and simple! I would have never thought of something like that, in fact, I wasn't even aware that was possible. With the skill of the developer team, I'm sure they probably can do this. My only concern as that the idea is not so far-fetched, is there some reason they haven't already done it? Was it attempted but too much of a hassle. I also am aware that other servers have plug-ins alerting a player of block glitching and offers them a warning before a ban, but beyond that I'm not sure of any alternatives.

MoLoToV

Platinum
Reaction score
seems very affective and simple! I would have never thought of something like that, in fact, I wasn't even aware that was possible. With the skill of the developer team, I'm sure they probably can do this. My only concern as that the idea is not so far-fetched, is there some reason they haven't already done it? Was it attempted but too much of a hassle. I also am aware that other servers have plug-ins alerting a player of block glitching and offers them a warning before a ban, but beyond that I'm not sure of any alternatives.
Previously we weren't able to edit anything from the adventure mode, which would restrict you from breaking leaves and vines etc. As we are able to edit it now 1.8 there is a good chance we will implent it into the game. This is al up to the devs though, there might be downsides to this method.

oscarreadwin

Tribute
Reaction score
Will it affect chests/buttons/levers? And if these can still be used, wouldn't it also mean that they can be broken? I don't know much about adventure mode and I'm sure theres a way to make it so that blocks you can interact with can't be broken, but it's worth keeping in mind.

FourthState

Survivor
Reaction score
This feature of adventure mode is only available in the 1.8 snapshot currently, meaning that it wouldn't be possible now.

I'm not aware of any block glitch detection plugins, but I'm positive they don't work like the method I proposed. I'll go have a look at how they work. Thanks for the heads up!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci