• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Flame Wars: What they are, Why they should be stopped.

Slqme

Survivor
Reaction score
Hello! Today I'll be talking about a sensitive subject, flame wars. I know these kind of threads have been made before, but, since they seem to be at a highten in their ways, I figure I should brush lightly on the subject.

Lets start by defining a flame war.
A "Flame War" is a series of focused attacks against individuals with the half-semblance of a mutual topic.

Flame Wars are something that are complete "ludicrously" in their simplest form. Why people get into such silly arguments I do not know. What I do know, however, is that some people cannot take criticism, or something that they disagree with, and let it be.

When you see something harsh, or something that may be considered "stupid" or "wrong" to you, I ask you please, just ignore it. Be the bigger person. Do not stoop to their level.

Flame wars can cause many problems. They are a hassle for staff; all they do is make someone feel bad; and they are pointless more than anything.

Next time you see someone make a post directed at you, or maybe something you don't agree with. Just let them have it. Let them think what they want to think. Its their world, their life, their words. Not yours.
If you see something intended at someone else, or even you, that could be perceived as mean, cruel, or vile, please, call a moderator down. Here at MCGamer we have many fine staff members that shall warn or take care of someone who is intending to cause harm!

Thankyou for reading, and I'll leave you with this one comment.

If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.
~Slqme

Last edited:

Slqme

Survivor
Reaction score
I encourage people to leave their opinion!
Its always great to hear what other people think!

Creepah

Career
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this. Flame wars are a constant issue, and cause calm and interesting discussions to go off in a argumentative and often petty tangent of rude comments, so thanks for highlighting this :)

Lucidictive

Diamond
Reaction score
Flame Wars are something that are complete "ludicrously" in their simplest form. Why people get into such silly arguments I do not know. What I do know, however, is that some people cannot take criticism, or something that they disagree with, and let it be.
Well, here's an opinion for you: this thread and especially this part is biased.

While you're right in some ways, you neglect to even acknowledge how arguing in these "flame wars" actually promotes healthy discussion and opinions which are completely normal in forums as such.

I want to highlight this part of the post specifically. You are writing in a way that many people would call unprofessional journalism. To put this in layman's terms, you are taking YOUR opinion, and shoving it down the community's throat, and indirectly attempting to force others to stop arguing and criticism, which is perfectly healthy for a community forum. See, a regular editorial (opinion biased writing) would contain the author's opinion, and try to prove it correct, or in the simplest form, show others that they are right in their opinion.

The moment you wrote "Why people get into such silly arguments, I do not know.", you should of stopped writing, erased that line, and did some research on why people argue their opinions.

Had the potential to be a quality post.

Slqme

Survivor
Reaction score
Well, here's an opinion for you: this thread and especially this part is biased.

While you're right in some ways, you neglect to even acknowledge how arguing in these "flame wars" actually promotes healthy discussion and opinions which are completely normal in forums as such.

I want to highlight this part of the post specifically. You are writing in a way that many people would call unprofessional journalism. To put this in layman's terms, you are taking YOUR opinion, and shoving it down the community's throat, and indirectly attempting to force others to stop arguing and criticism, which is perfectly healthy for a community forum. See, a regular editorial (opinion biased writing) would contain the author's opinion, and try to prove it correct, or in the simplest form, show others that they are right in their opinion.

The moment you wrote "Why people get into such silly arguments, I do not know.", you should of stopped writing, erased that line, and did some research on why people argue their opinions.

Had the potential to be a quality post.
I appreciate your opinion, but I find it rather hypocritical, slightly aggressive, and I know you that you know you could have laid it out better.

I think you missed out the definition of "Flame War". Yes, a little argument or debate is good for healthy discussion, and may help some people, but in this thread it is clear I am talking about heated discussions, and, as I said, Flame wars. Little petty arguments aren't flame wars.

First of all, obviously I'm not a professional journalist. What did you expect me to be? Also, I am obviously writing from my point of view (i.e. my opinion), would I be writing from someone else's? Biased means when one said person is favouring one said side, so is favouring the peaceful side so bad? I don't see how I'm "shoving" my opinion on flame wars down your throat, so I ask you please to explain that. I am simply saying why they are bad and why they should be stopped.

If you think Flame Wars are good that's your call, but it would seem that the whole staff team, which are most likely considerably older, more experienced, and smarter then you, would disagree.

Lets not start a flame war on a thread based on stopping them.
Thankyou for your opinion,
~Slqme

^ this iks true keep the rage to yourself.
If you are having a bad day don't make this a bad day for someone else
I wasn't having a bad day, I'm in fact in a very happy mood today, I just decided to make a thread to "Spread the love" :)

Miner9823

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Next time you see someone make a post directed at you, or maybe something you don't agree with. Just let them have it. Let them think what they want to think. Its their world, their life, their words. Not yours.
In a way, I do actually agree with you on that matter in a way of course, which would simply mean that when people direct something that may be offensive or just rude, it would be best to have tolerance and let it be, and moving on. However, you have also mentioned that if people are getting in a flame war, we should report it to our great, and loyal staff members, just saying that if someone directs it to you, and it is in a way, really offensive, I think you can always report them to a staff member as well if you find something directed at you offensive. I suggest adding that as well in your thread. :)

Also, I've been seeing you around for a bit, you seem like a quite intriguing forumer. c:

Reaction score
I appreciate your opinion, but I find it rather hypocritical, slightly aggressive, and I know you that you know you could have laid it out better.

I think you missed out the definition of "Flame War". Yes, a little argument or debate is good for healthy discussion, and may help some people, but in this thread it is clear I am talking about heated discussions, and, as I said, Flame wars. Little petty arguments aren't flame wars.

First of all, obviously I'm not a professional journalist. What did you expect me to be? Also, I am obviously writing from my point of view (i.e. my opinion), would I be writing from someone else's? Biased means when one said person is favouring one said side, so is favouring the peaceful side so bad? I don't see how I'm "shoving" my opinion on flame wars down your throat, so I ask you please to explain that. I am simply saying why they are bad and why they should be stopped.

If you think Flame Wars are good that's your call, but it would seem that the whole staff team, which are most likely considerably older, more experienced, and smarter then you, would disagree.

~Slqme

I wasn't having a bad day, I'm in fact in a very happy mood today, I just decided to make a thread to "Spread the love" :)
dude I was meaning to add on to that

Lucidictive

Diamond
Reaction score

~Slqme

Calling it a flame war when I am simply criticizing and expressing my opposing opinion is exactly what I mean about shutting out healthy discussion. I am writing this all on my phone so I can't post everything, I might later.

Slqme

Survivor
Reaction score
Calling it a flame war when I am simply criticizing and expressing my opposing opinion is exactly what I mean about shutting out healthy discussion. I am writing this all on my phone so I can't post everything, I might later.
I said don't let it become a flame war. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci