• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Dinnerbone is taking suggestions for Minecraft 1.9 - Combat Update

Fireworks

Platinum
Reaction score
As some of you saw my last topic in regards to Minecraft 1.9, and how it was speculated to be the Combat Update (Link to the thread here), it has been confirmed to be so by Dinnerbone on /r/minecraftsuggestions this morning. He made a thread on there asking the community to give suggestions on how they can improve the combat in Minecraft.

After reading through the thread of people's suggestions, looks like the people on there are talking about Location-Based damage (Getting hit in the head would deal more damage than in the foot) along with armor only protecting those areas that they cover, weapon diversity with different properties, hit/parry/dodge system, and shields. (Those are just some of the highly upvoted suggestions, there are more the farther down you scroll)

Now, I'm not saying to go over and suggest X feature, I'm just informing all of you of what's possibly going to come to the future of Minecraft combat, since we all play our fair share of PvP on here.

The link to the Reddit thread can be found here.

K

KiDD

Hoping they listen to those speaking about the hits in 1.8. Some changes would be awesome :)

Ceroria

Mockingjay
Reaction score
Location based damage seems like something that would be cool, but there are already so many aspects of PvP like strafing, blockhitting, click speeds and patterns that I think extra big features like that would make it too complicated ;c

K

KiDD

Location based damage seems like something that would be cool, but there are already so many aspects of PvP like strafing, blockhitting, click speeds and patterns that I think extra big features like that would make it too complicated ;c
I like it to be honest. It will make things a lot more skill based, provided they fix the inconsistency with the hits. Especially with bows, that'd be interesting.

MoLoToV

Platinum
Reaction score
I would really love this for shooting someone with an arrow though, I mean a headset should hurt pretty bad right? And this would be great in combination with armor, for example if someone has full iron but a helmet, you'll still do normal damage when you hit them on their head.

Ceroria

Mockingjay
Reaction score
I would really love this for shooting someone with an arrow though, I mean a headset should hurt pretty bad right? And this would be great in combination with armor, for example if someone has full iron but a helmet, you'll still do normal damage when you hit them on their head.
I was just about to suggest maybe only having this matter with bowshots or something xD

Electrix

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Here's what I said:
An official Anti-Cheat would solve a big problem with networks. Hackers have been a major pain since the beginning, and the competitive networks are being left to deal with them. Moderators spend hours catching no-knockback, forcefield, and more. And that's on the servers that have made a No-Cheat plugin. Vanilla servers aren't so lucky.
Being able to move faster via A or D while holding W would be interesting. That would add a whole different speed level, so just jumping and sprinting wouldn't be the fast way to move. Instead, players would need some more complex hand movements to be better players.
Blocking to defend your chest and torso would be a very interesting mechanic. To prevent being hopelessly hit again and again by a fast clicker, a player could block. This would distract the opponent and force them to look at the head, legs, or feet. I could imagine many tactics coming from this.
More bows or arrows is a must. Currently, it is a very powerful weapon. I suggest weakening it and adding Gold, Iron, and Diamond Bows. However, this might be better implemented with arrows. It doesn't really matter, but most would prefer cooler archery tools.
Throwing potions with extra range via left click could provide a twist to PvP. Why risk your life when you can throw a poison potion 6 blocks away? This system would rely on angle, adding another tactical strategy on when to throw potions.
Revamping potion physics would be a great improvement. This would mean that potions you throw ahead stay ahead of you, even if you are running. You wouldn't have to guess where the entity was going to land, because you'd know, using common sense.

K

KiDD

I was just about to suggest maybe only having this matter with bowshots or something xD
Lol, so was I. I started to think about if swords would be practical with crits and stuff but then I thought about just bows and how that'd be cool, it'd really slow bow spamming down as well cx

Fireworks

Platinum
Reaction score
Blocking to defend your chest and torso would be a very interesting mechanic. To prevent being hopelessly hit again and again by a fast clicker, a player could block. This would distract the opponent and force them to look at the head, legs, or feet. I could imagine many tactics coming from this.
More bows or arrows is a must. Currently, it is a very powerful weapon. I suggest weakening it and adding Gold, Iron, and Diamond Bows. However, this might be better implemented with arrows. It doesn't really matter, but most would prefer cooler archery tools.
Just have something to say on these two points.

For blocking and such, I liked the idea of parrys being used. Where if you time a block right, you take no damage and both players get knocked back. I see blocking being much more of a viable defensive strat with this. While your idea is something I haven't heard yet, I prefer the parry idea.

The bows I'm entirely on board with. But instead of using metals for the other bows, different types of wood, each of which giving different properties to them. (Like Less charge time/less damage and longer charge time/more range). There could be an iron bow, for those do exist, but gold and diamond seems a bit out there.

SnoopSean

Career
Reaction score
OMG FIREMASTER MADE A POST!
XD But seriously I was literally going to say what Ceroria was saying, I stated in the Announcement Thread that the reason we like Minecraft is because you can do so much with so little. When we add things like gold, diamond bows and such like that. It ever adds to the tycoony feeling of the game. You know why we like older updates, because less is more. Let's keep it that way, less is more.

Mamiamato24

Diamond
Reaction score
A battle axe-esque weapon would be quite interesting, and maybe it could be crafted by utilizing some sort of refining process on a regular axe to alter its properties.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci