• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Could MCGamer have an agony aunt?

Should I be your agony aunt?

• Total voters

BenjiBaeb

Peacekeeper
Reaction score

Do You want an agony aunt?
----------------------------------------

I have been an agony aunt for my school for the last 3 years, and I enjoy it to be honest, the feeling that I get is just amazing, when I rip open the messages and questions I get I just think this person actually trusts me! And that's the feel I want to have with the MCGamer community, If anyone has a problem I would like them to know that people are there to listen and not to be horrible, It just helps create a sense of security for the Community.

Why do I think we need one?
-----------------------------------------
I think we need one because there are many members of the community that always come to me when they have a problem, because they know that I will not judge them. Another reason I think we need one is because most forums on the internet have one because so many problems happen on the forums.

What does an agony aunt/uncle do?
---------------------------------------------------

Depending on where you are giving advice it will involve answering one or more questions in print, online or through broadcast media. In print you’ll usually have a selection of letters sent to you, on websites a similar format applies.

Do I get to pick what I answer?
--------------------------------------------
It depends. In most cases you don’t have any say on what you are sent and may only see/hear a fraction of the questions people want help with. Media outlets tend to pick problems that fit within their particular agenda – which may be an overall focus on particular issues or tagged to a particular theme of the day/week etc. It is not unusual for letters to be edited so what you answer may not be exactly what appears in print. Sometimes answers are restricted because the questions asked are not clear. If you can’t quite work out what the person is getting at unfortunately those letters tend to be dropped. In most cases media outlets get far more requests for help than they are able to deliver. That knowledge can be distressing for some advisor's.

How would it work?
----------------------------

I think the best way for it to work would be if a custom forum was set up where certain Helpers of the community that have experience can answer questions are cries for help as it can stop people go further into depression when they can speak to someone who cares, this allows the 'helpers' to answer questions without them being publicly displayed, however another way for this to happen could be through Private messages, but this would be a little harder to manage/look at. Therefore I think the private forum would be a better Idea!

Should I be your agony aunt/uncle? You decide.

Last edited:

Pixelatorx2

Platinum
Reaction score
Um.... kinda weird..

Why do you go to an online gaming community for depression related things.. If you need stuff like that (in canada at least) there is something called Kids Help Phone, take ae look if yo need help in canada.

BenjiBaeb

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Of course, but there are certain people in the community that have these issues and don't know who to talk to, having this system in place will help them understand that you can find help anywhere and not just from the people close to them. This system keeps the ocnversation private so the player can not be criticised for asking 'A silly question' or 'depressive question', as no-one else but the player and the agony aunt involved.

Pixelatorx2

Platinum
Reaction score
Of course, but there are certain people in the community that have these issues and don't know who to talk to, having this system in place will help them understand that you can find help anywhere and not just from the people close to them.
For the amount of work, its a trivial idea that *may* not even work.

BenjiBaeb

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
It will work in definitely I have experience in this area and Know exactly how to respond, and I am willing to take on the work load and be there for the people that need it.

Zaex

Diamond
Reaction score
It will work in definitely I have experience in this area and Know exactly how to respond, and I am willing to take on the work load and be there for the people that need it.
There are probably a million different issues of depression out there, and you think you know how to respond to every single issue?

BenjiBaeb

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
1. No offense, but I have never heard of you and I'm active in this community, and have been a part of it since v1.
2. This isn't an "oh please, i need advice" community. Maybe for a depressed site.
I do not need to be Well known on the forums, that's the point, I am not known on here which shows that I keep myself to myself therefore I would never even talk about the questions I would be asked.

BenjiBaeb

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Why does everyone care so much if he wants to do this? Was it like poison being injected into your veins when he made this post?
Thank You Sir, however they are allowed their own opinions on this thread and If they believe it is not a good Idea then that's their opinion. <33

It will also stop threads like this, http://www.minecraftsurvivalgames.com/threads/bullying.106682/, as this threads can simply upset a person, where as allowing them to talk to a person that knows what they are doing and can help them in many ways.

Last edited:

Zacharoutio

Moderator | Mapping Team
Reaction score
I think the idea of an agony aunt would be good. But, I think that the person you should only deal with non-MCGamer related things. I personally believe if you have a problem, question or an issue, you should speak to a staff member.
I think that an agony aunt might kinda of take away a place of staff, and I think we want the community interacting with staff in as many ways as possible.
Other than that, I like the idea.

BenjiBaeb

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Something with A similar usage was already added by KitMencha , Thanks for that btw, could You remove this thread/Lock it KitMencha?

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci