• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Community Discussion: The Recent Update and Other Potential Changes

Scott

District 13
Reaction score
Hello,
As you all probably know, MCGamer has had a significant influx of policy changes, new features, and other changes. With those changes, there has been a substantial increase in the amount of threads. Some of those threads are complaints, and some of them are in support of the recent decisions made by the Sr. Staff. In order to decrease the amount of complain threads made. Instead, let's all use this thread as discussion.

Added Features

The Return of 1.7
Out of most all the changes, the return of 1.7 has been the most controversial. MCGamer dropped support for 1.7 back in January, making Minecraft 1.8 the only supported version. Immediately thereafter, there was a large wave of criticism that came at the staff team. People trashed 1.8, claiming their was "too much lag" and "the PvP aspect of Minecraft is ruined in 1.8." To read some of those comments, go here. After a couple months, the threads started to die down and those who left began to come back slowly.

Five months later, it was just an accepted fact that 1.8 was here to stay. In fact, people started getting use to 1.8 and it wasn't so much of an issue. Now, MCGamer has added support for 1.7 again. Did it make the community happy? Partially, yes. Fully, no. After getting use to the update, everyone started supporting 1.8. After all, 1.8 does have it's few advantages: lower lag, spectator mods, blocks for maps, etc. But now, a little over 5 months later, MCGamer is back to 1.7.

With 1.7, some of Minecraft's best PvP aspects have returned; however, they come with a price. With 1.7, there is a sizable increase in lag. In addition, 1.7 users can't see blocks that are 1.8, they are merely replaced. So, that leaves players with a choice: 1.7 with lag and different blocks or 1.8 with a bad PvP aspect.

My opinion on bringing back 1.7 is that it's the right decision. It gives players a choice on what they want to use, both versions with their prices. However, I wish they would have kept 1.7 since January. It cost the devs a hell of a lot of work for something that they had to undo. If MCGamer would have continued support 1.7 and 1.8 support for the entire time in between the release of 1.8 and now, no one would have even cared about 1.8 and everyone would be using 1.7, which would have limited the flame and controversy the staff and community has seen the last 4-5 months.

Anti-Cheat Improvements
There isn't much to say here. It is limiting hackers on the server, which everyone—except hackers— is in support of. If someone disagrees with the new anti-cheat, they better have a damn good reason. As you can probably tell, I support the anti-cheat improvements.

Hub System
The new hub has a nice design and is fairly organized. I can see everything without waiting for a while to load, it's colorful, and it's interactive. I must say I was impressed when I logged in. It combines elements of all 3 previous hubs, and adds a unique touch. I honestly wouldn't change anything about it. Nice work, Jamie. You did a good job.

Removal of Select Gamemodes
When I found out some gamemodes were being removed, I was a bit disappointed; however, some of them needed to go. There were too many underplayed gamemodes, and they needed to go. The things I would change, however, is MCTF2 instead of ZedChase. Additionally, I'd like to see Quarter Quell and Survival Games Classic back. I saw Chad's post that they might come back, and I appreciate that fact. I'd like to see them back sooner rather than later, though.

Ranks and Pricing
The new monthly plans allow for people with not-so-good financials to buy a premium rank for a low cost. In addition, the overall prices are lower. Lower prices means we're helping beat competition and we're supporting the less wealthy members of the community. Overall, good idea by the administration. It will probably earn them more money in the long run, while concurrently helping out members of the community who couldn't afford the ranks before.

Planned Features

Solo SG
For an interminable time, the community has called for a teaming limit, a rule against teaming period, or solo servers. People get frustrated because they can't win due to teaming, and I understand. Teaming is like a parasite to those who die because of them; however, teaming is also a good thing. It brings friends together and helps strengthen the bond between community members. A teaming limit isn't a well-thought idea, it'd be too difficult to moderate. Banning teaming all together limits friendships and turns people against each other, which isn't the goal of a teaming rule. But, all the other ideas aside, solo servers might actually work.

Though they'd be difficult to moderate and control, I support solo servers. It allows friends to team up against other teams, but it also allows those who wish to play solo a chance to win without a 3+ team killing them. With the proper work and moderator presence, it could actually work.

Points System
Since MCGamer credits, the point system has been forgotten and neglected. Now that it's undergoing many updates, I hope it becomes more important to players. "Double Point Weekends" and other fun events with points will help draw attention to MCGamer. In addition, the points system is now planned to be for more things than just sponsoring. Getting new classed in Battlegrounds and cosmetic items will definitely boost MCGamer's popularity.

New Events
If there's something that makes MCGamer stand out from other networks, it's our community events. Most of the new community events are good ideas, with the right people running them. Giving the community a chance to decide things, like in "MCGamer's Got Talent", is a step in the right direction.

Potential Features
Though the recent update has been mostly a good thing, there are several things that were not done that I wish we would have seen.

Leaderboards for Other Gamemodes
Everyone has their talents on MCGamer. Some people are good at Deadly Descent, some are good at Survival Games, and some are good on Battlegrounds. The problem is, only the ones good on Survival Games and UHC get to "show off." Leaderboards for every gamemode would increase the participation on them, and allow those who aren't good at Survival Games to be good somewhere else.

Redesigning the Forums
The forums are home to the most active community members and provoke a lot of discussions which help the community interact. However, I think MCGamer's forums need a revamp. With the recent removal of select gamemodes and the changes to TeamSpeak, I think it's time to make the forums look new and up-to-date.

Here is my suggested format:

MCGamer Network
News and Announcements
Minor Announcements
Community Corner

Introductions/Farewells
Off Topic Discussions
Feature Suggestions
Map Downloads and Discussions

Accepted Maps
Finished Maps
Maps in Progress
Map Ideas
Clans and Teams
US/CA Clans
AU Clans
EU Clans
Disbanded Clans
Clan Events and Tournaments
Build Teams

Information and Support
General Support

Resolved Issues
Tech Support
Community Guides
Rules
FAQ
Bug Reports
TeamSpeak Server
Applications
Accepted
Interview
Pending
Declined
Punishment Disputes
Closed
Report Abuse
Accepted
Closed
MCGamer Gamemodes
Survival Games
UHC Worlds
Battlegrounds
Zed Chase
Deadly Descent
Survival Bingo

Miscellaneous
Anything Minecraft
Art Section
Forums Games
Archive

Regions
As many people know, the MCGamer's Canada region is almost always empty. At peak times, Canada still only has a max 100 people on. Instead of getting rid of Canada all together, we should move CA to an Eastern US city and make two US regions. That way, all Americans have good connection and Canadians can still play on a network decently close to them.

That's really all I have to say. Please follow all MCGamer rules in this discussion.

Gule

District 13
Reaction score
Hello,
As you all probably know, MCGamer has had a significant influx of policy changes, new features, and other changes. With those changes, there has been a substantial increase in the amount of threads. Some of those threads are complaints, and some of them are in support of the recent decisions made by the Sr. Staff. In order to decrease the amount of complain threads made. Instead, let's all use this thread as discussion.

Added Features

The Return of 1.7
Out of most all the changes, the return of 1.7 has been the most controversial. MCGamer dropped support for 1.7 back in January, making Minecraft 1.8 the only supported version. Immediately thereafter, there was a large wave of criticism that came at the staff team. People trashed 1.8, claiming their was "too much lag" and "the PvP aspect of Minecraft is ruined in 1.8." To read some of those comments, go here. After a couple months, the threads started to die down and those who left began to come back slowly.

Five months later, it was just an accepted fact that 1.8 was here to stay. In fact, people started getting use to 1.8 and it wasn't so much of an issue. Now, MCGamer has added support for 1.7 again. Did it make the community happy? Partially, yes. Fully, no. After getting use to the update, everyone started supporting 1.8. After all, 1.8 does have it's few advantages: lower lag, spectator mods, blocks for maps, etc. But now, a little over 5 months later, MCGamer is back to 1.7.

With 1.7, some of Minecraft's best PvP aspects have returned; however, they come with a price. With 1.7, there is a sizable increase in lag. In addition, 1.7 users can't see blocks that are 1.8, they are merely replaced. So, that leaves players with a choice: 1.7 with lag and different blocks or 1.8 with a bad PvP aspect.

My opinion on bringing back 1.7 is that it's the right decision. It gives players a choice on what they want to use, both versions with their prices. However, I wish they would have kept 1.7 since January. It cost the devs a hell of a lot of work for something that they had to undo. If MCGamer would have continued support 1.7 and 1.8 support for the entire time in between the release of 1.8 and now, no one would have even cared about 1.8 and everyone would be using 1.7, which would have limited the flame and controversy the staff and community has seen the last 4-5 months.

Anti-Cheat Improvements
There isn't much to say here. It is limiting hackers on the server, which everyone—except hackers— is in support of. If someone disagrees with the new anti-cheat, they better have a damn good reason. As you can probably tell, I support the anti-cheat improvements.

Hub System
The new hub has a nice design and is fairly organized. I can see everything without waiting for a while to load, it's colorful, and it's interactive. I must say I was impressed when I logged in. It combines elements of all 3 previous hubs, and adds a unique touch. I honestly wouldn't change anything about it. Nice work, Jamie. You did a good job.

When I found out some gamemodes were being removed, I was a bit disappointed; however, some of them needed to go. There were too many underplayed gamemodes, and they needed to go. The things I would change, however, is MCTF2 instead of ZedChase. Additionally, I'd like to see Quarter Quell and Survival Games Classic back. I saw Chad's post that they might come back, and I appreciate that fact. I'd like to see them back sooner rather than later, though.

Ranks and Pricing
The new monthly plans allow for people with not-so-good financials to buy a premium rank for a low cost. In addition, the overall prices are lower. Lower prices means we're helping beat competition and we're supporting the less wealthy members of the community. Overall, good idea by the administration. It will probably earn them more money in the long run, while concurrently helping out members of the community who couldn't afford the ranks before.

Planned Features

Solo SG
For an interminable time, the community has called for a teaming limit, a rule against teaming period, or solo servers. People get frustrated because they can't win due to teaming, and I understand. Teaming is like a parasite to those who die because of them; however, teaming is also a good thing. It brings friends together and helps strengthen the bond between community members. A teaming limit isn't a well-thought idea, it'd be too difficult to moderate. Banning teaming all together limits friendships and turns people against each other, which isn't the goal of a teaming rule. But, all the other ideas aside, solo servers might actually work.

Though they'd be difficult to moderate and control, I support solo servers. It allows friends to team up against other teams, but it also allows those who wish to play solo a chance to win without a 3+ team killing them. With the proper work and moderator presence, it could actually work.

Points System
Since MCGamer credits, the point system has been forgotten and neglected. Now that it's undergoing many updates, I hope it becomes more important to players. "Double Point Weekends" and other fun events with points will help draw attention to MCGamer. In addition, the points system is now planned to be for more things than just sponsoring. Getting new classed in Battlegrounds and cosmetic items will definitely boost MCGamer's popularity.

New Events
If there's something that makes MCGamer stand out from other networks, it's our community events. Most of the new community events are good ideas, with the right people running them. Giving the community a chance to decide things, like in "MCGamer's Got Talent", is a step in the right direction.

Potential Features
Though the recent update has been mostly a good thing, there are several things that were not done that I wish we would have seen.

Everyone has their talents on MCGamer. Some people are good at Deadly Descent, some are good at Survival Games, and some are good on Battlegrounds. The problem is, only the ones good on Survival Games and UHC get to "show off." Leaderboards for every gamemode would increase the participation on them, and allow those who aren't good at Survival Games to be good somewhere else.

Redesigning the Forums
The forums are home to the most active community members and provoke a lot of discussions which help the community interact. However, I think MCGamer's forums need a revamp. With the recent removal of select gamemodes and the changes to TeamSpeak, I think it's time to make the forums look new and up-to-date.

MCGamer Network
News and Announcements
Minor Announcements
Community Corner

Introductions/Farewells
Off Topic Discussions
Feature Suggestions

Accepted Maps
Finished Maps
Maps in Progress
Map Ideas
Clans and Teams
US/CA Clans
AU Clans
EU Clans
Disbanded Clans
Build Teams

Information and Support
General Support

Resolved Issues
Tech Support
Community Guides
Rules
FAQ
Bug Reports
TeamSpeak Server
Applications

Accepted
Interview
Pending
Declined
Punishment Disputes
Closed
Report Abuse
Accepted
Closed
MCGamer Gamemodes
Survival Games
UHC Worlds
Battlegrounds
Zed Chase
Deadly Descent
Survival Bingo

Miscellaneous
Anything Minecraft
Art Section
Forums Games
Archive

Regions
As many people know, the MCGamer's Canada region is almost always empty. At peak times, Canada still only has a max 100 people on. Instead of getting rid of Canada all together, we should move CA to an Eastern US city and make two US regions. That way, all Americans have good connection and Canadians can still play on a network decently close to them.

That's really all I have to say. Please follow all MCGamer rules in this discussion.

Hello,

Added Features

The Return of 1.7

Anti-Cheat Improvements

Hub System

Ranks and Pricing

Planned Features

Solo SG

Points System

New Events

Potential Features

Redesigning the Forums

MCGamer Network
News and Announcements
Minor Announcements
Community Corner

Introductions/Farewells
Off Topic Discussions
Feature Suggestions

Accepted Maps
Finished Maps
Maps in Progress
Map Ideas
Clans and Teams
US/CA Clans
AU Clans
EU Clans
Disbanded Clans
Build Teams

Information and Support
General Support

Resolved Issues
Tech Support
Community Guides
Rules
FAQ
Bug Reports
TeamSpeak Server
Applications

Accepted
Interview
Pending
Declined
Punishment Disputes
Closed
Report Abuse
Accepted
Closed
MCGamer Gamemodes
Survival Games
UHC Worlds
Battlegrounds
Zed Chase
Deadly Descent
Survival Bingo

Miscellaneous
Anything Minecraft
Art Section
Forums Games
Archive

Regions

i find this really helpful thanks man!
how long time did this take to make btw?

HapyFeet

Spectator
Reaction score
Very well written, what I was thinking was that maybe once you have clicked on SG there could be another menu that opens, and you can pick either teamed or solo SG. Basically the same thing you were suggesting just a little more organized, but overall very good thread!

Vigilo

District 13
Reaction score
At first, before I say what I think of the updates:

Scott, what a great thread! I love the way you write and tell all the things. It's a pain that you left the staff team, however, it's beautiful to see that you're still here <3

The Return of 1.7

It's great that MCGamer listened to the majority of the community and updated(downgraded) to their favourite Minecraft version. For me, it doesn't really matter which game version I play on, I'll have fun anyway and won't be better on another version (btw: I don't like blockhits ;-;). Although there are still some bugs, I think this is a great update!

Anti-Cheat Improvements

Unfortunately, this causes that in the last 6 hours of Cleansweeps, we could only ban 4 players :p Not too good for the Cleansweeps = perfect for the servers. I'm really happy with this new anti-cheat, it's perfect and so good <3

Hub System

The new hub looks amazing and I like that you can directly select which gamemode lobby you want to join, as it was before!

I understand that the gamemodes got removed, because they were underplayed. However, I really like to play Color Zone when there were much of my friends on TeamSpeak :)

Ranks and Pricing

The thing I like the most about this update is that people can also buy the diamond and platinum rank for a limited time, for the rest the update doesn't mean too much in my view.

Overall, I'm really really happy about these new update! I also think it's amazing that these updates came all in a couple of days, I'm hyped for what's coming! :D

Ceroria

Mockingjay
Reaction score
I'd also like to see the Art Section in a subforum of the Community Corner.

K

KiDD

Nice thread dude. I believe Solo SG may have it's unfair random teaming, but I don't think it'll be all that big an issue....it's not like we're removing team friendly SG servers.

demonsushi

District 13
Reaction score
The two big things for me are solo servers and the new ranks stuff. I can finally get a lifetime rank (gold for $40) and also people can finally stop complaining about teams!

UnderSeaGirl

Diamond
Reaction score
Nice thread c:
Concerning 1.7, I agree that the only logical choice everyone would make is that 1.7 is better. Yes, some people might say that the 1.8 blocks add a nice touch, but honestly who cares about different coloured wood or slime blocks if you can have better PvP.. on a PvP server xD
All in all the removal of gamemodes was definitely necessary and also the new hub is a lot better.
I think everyone is really looking forward to the Solo SG, since teams were the other big problem next to 1.8 and hackers.
I team a lot as well, but that's honestly because when 1.8 got introduced and the stats were reset playing solo wasn't fun, cause everyone would either tryhard or team to win.
With solo servers it could be so much more fun, because I would honestly rather run into a hacker than a decent/good 3 team and I think I am not the only one xD
The only thing I see, you mentioned as well, is the moderating.. I think the rules would have to be really strict, because (I'm not too sure how they want to handle this) if they make a new leaderboard.. people are going to tryhard again and obviously teaming would make that a lot easier on a solo server.
A simple kicking out of a game is not going to stop anyone who wants to team, but yeah we will see how that is going to be handled c:
All in all I am really happy with the update and I think most people are, too.

Tenebrous

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
The Anti-Cheat is extremely easy to trigger, I did it myself and the developers are reviewing it right now.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci