• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Are you looking at making a map? Look here!

Did this help you?

• Yes

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • Didnt read it

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Dont care

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

_dose_

Experienced
Reaction score
So your looking at making a map? Well heres a few tips that will make your builds faster, better and greater than ever!! <feel free to add your own hints to make this a helpfull post to new builders!>
Some things you will need to make it more enjoyable would be to have your own multiplayer server with craftbukkit, with McEdit and VoxelSniper5, AND have a group of friends who you are willing to spend hours on end with who are fun to be with!!

It's some good advice. A little bit in addition, to record coords for all of your chests and traps, the Bukkit plugin Essentials has a /setwarp command. Whenever you make a trap or place a chest, stand on it and say /setwarp (whatever you want the warp to be called). Then to get the coords, look in the essentials plugin folder and it will have a file named warps, this will have all of the warps you set named and have the coords.

I recommend finding a good seed, or build it up yourself from flatland, and first off deciding if youd like to make a 24 or a 48 person map, then basing your map size, trap amount and puzzles and try making parkour!!

Spliting your map into 4 quarters and setting an amount of traps, puzzles and monuments per quarter so you can focus on yours and get help later (I reccommend building with 4-6 people so 1-2 peoplecan be there helping with big builds!

Having friends to critisize your work helps aswell, i remember building the shittest bridge outta diamond on my jungle map thinking it looked cool at the time... Lucky i had biff around! Lol

Another point. Write down all your coordinates from the beginning, learn to use a compass (left click takes you to the top block of the stack you click on and right clicking takes you to through the block) and ALWAYS, ALWAYS build on Default Texture pack!

//hsphere glass <radius> makes the dome :)

I hope this had helped! Comment if you want to add anything, as i will be adding on with every thought poping into my head and adding your hints aswell

-Dose

Ddogclaw

Survivor
Reaction score
It's some good advice. A little bit in addition, to record coords for all of your chests and traps, the Bukkit plugin Essentials has a /setwarp command. Whenever you make a trap or place a chest, stand on it and say /setwarp (whatever you want the warp to be called). Then to get the coords, look in the essentials plugin folder and it will have a file named warps, this will have all of the warps you set named and have the coords.

Ddogclaw

Survivor
Reaction score
Also WorldEdit has a cylinder command, you can stand at the center of the map and create the glass cylinder without much trouble :) It's //hcyl glass 250 1000 (I think... it might be a little different)

_dose_

Experienced
Reaction score
Remember to make your ideas original aswell! Theres currently 6 Desert Maps, 2 (Horrible looking) Snow Maps, and several random seed maps. Dont forget that you WILL need to edit landscape, cover tunnels up, stuff like that! And do that before you build anything, and keep the centre EVEN coords, i CANNOT stress this enough!!

Goodluck, and happy building. Feel free to add your own tips!

_dose_

Experienced
Reaction score
Also WorldEdit has a cylinder command, you can stand at the center of the map and create the glass cylinder without much trouble :) It's //hcyl glass 250 1000 (I think... it might be a little different)
For a dome its //hsphere glass <radius>

ShaunDepro

Mockingjay
Reaction score
There isn't really a roof to it so probably not, although the border of it would work.

zukodark

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Remember to make your ideas original aswell! Theres currently 6 Desert Maps, 2 (Horrible looking) Snow Maps, and several random seed maps.
Remember the city roof map, hungry hills (I know you dont like it), the sky island maps, the "volcano spawn" map and the cave map that pig working on!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci