• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

| A Guide to PVP, Chests and MCSG for Newbs and Pros|

Dragongirl10188

Survivor
Reaction score
Hello, I'm Dragongirl10188 in game and on the forums and I play the Survival Games ~ so that's why I'm creating this little post. Not only does this include PVP, inventory and weapon tips, but what to do when you find someone rude or a team.
If you look at my stats, I have 33 wins and I know that isn't a lot but I've played a few games and learnt a few things. I'm not very popular at all, but I can supply some tips for you. If you know them, great. If you don't know them, even better.
!!! = Inventory.
!!! = Chests.
!!! = PVP.
!!! = The Servers (lag, players, etc)

!K N O W T H E S T R E N G T H of your weapons and armour!
This is incredibly important if you want to anaylze whether you can take someone down or not by looking at the items they have showing. I've provided a little list for you, the 'best' being the most top one and the 'worst' being the most bottom one. Some are the same and are shown with an equal sign.
The gold sword is the 'worst' in my opinion -- sure, it has the same damage as the stone axe and wooden sword, but you'll probably only be able to kill one person then it will shatter, just because it looks pretty doesn't mean it attacks pretty.

W E A P O N S
Diamond sword
Iron sword = Diamond axe.
Stone sword = Iron axe.
Wooden sword = Gold sword = Stone axe.
Wood axe.

A R M O U R
Diamond armour - very hard to get -- diamond boots are not as hard to get though.
Iron armour
Chain armour
Gold armour
Leather armour

Y O U R H O T B A R
Your hotbar is the little 9 slot area in the bottom of your screen, which enables quick access for items. There are many ways to set it up and you may have your person preferences. Mine is below. I'll explain every single one to you, but you can mix and match your hotbar to whatever you please.

Sword - Decoy - Bow - Flint and Steel - Fishing rod - Food / Golden apple if I have one - Food - Food - Arrows

Sword -- or some sort of weapon, basically my melee weapon whether it's a diamond sword or a wooden axe.
Decoy -- I use a decoy, you may be against them but this means I look less intimidating and people are more likely to fight me, ending in goodies. By a decoy I mean if I have a stone sword, I'll hold out a wooden axe and it means others will see that I'm weaker than I actually am. If you have a diamond sword, don't use an iron sword as a decoy, it is still intimidating.
Bow -- A bow is my best friend <3
Flint and Steel -- This is my best friend too.
Fishing Rod -- I find them extremely useful when I'm teaming up, which is almost always. Fishing rods do no damage, just knockback quite a lot and have a better range than your fists. In water chases you can hit your teamie with a fishing rod and they will fly forward (no hax included) or on land chases. It is also useful for when someone is running towards you, hit them back a few times to regen or to give time for your teamie to sneak up on them.
Food / Golden Apple -- Golden apples are yummy. It's amazing in fights, especially against bigger teams or against better opponents. It gives you two extra hearts and will give you extra layers of protection as well as quicker regeneration.
Food -- pretty self-explanatory. PLEASE please please eat whenever you need to, even if you're missing half a heart. If you don't, it'll bite you in the butt when you're chasing someone and you can't sprint anymore or running from someone and you can't regen or sprint.
Arrows -- To see how many arrows I have left, so I can know whether to only make shots I know I'll make or if I can run around taking chances to miss whoever I try to shoot.

Y O U R I N V E N T O R Y
Your inventory is when you press E (or whatever you have it on) and basically your 'backpack'. I, myself, often forget to use the next thing I'm going to tell you. Organize it. If you need to craft quickly because deathmatch is in 10 seconds, you'll want to have your supplies organised. That may mean food in one section, sticks in another and iron/diamond/gold in one more.
Another REALLY important one is empty it often.
If you kill someone and they have a bunch of crap you don't need, dump it. I suggest not finding lava, as someone could push you in easily and b a m, you're screwed. Water is a good place if it's not too shallow near the edge or just places no one visits -- chests are good ideas too, especially cornucopia ones as people are unlikely to check there before refill.

The reason you need to is a) it isn't so cluttered. b) if you kill someone, you can take their stuff and run because that lightning is gonna attract a h e l l a lot of attention.

C H E S T R O U T E S
What are chest routes? Basically the route you go to find chests around the map. You'll want to develop a good one with a lot of chests, especially Tier 2s and have it well-timed as you'll want to be as close to mid as possible when refill comes. I'll explain how I go about it below! c:

M A K I N G A R O U T E
Obviously, to have a route you need to make one. I suggest downloading the official MCSG maps and in creative flying around them, or simply in spectator mode when you've died / joined a game in progress. I also find most of my chest routes by finding chest routes on youtube by either a) watching chest routes and b) watching youtubers play to see which direction they go. I then adjust this a lot to my preferences, because I sometimes am quicker or take longer than them or I know other chests I can add onto those routes. You'll need to make sure not every dog and his parrot go your route, such as the pirate ship on Breeze Island, otherwise your chests will be taken and you're dead.

W H A T I F S O M E O N E S T E A L S M Y R O U T E ?
Well a person can never really steal it, but they can use the same route as you coincidentally. If they do, make sure to head to the closest chests and the minute you get a weapon and some armour, kill them. It may be hard, but they're gonna steal your chests! If someone with better stuff goes to it, try to surprise attack them when they're checking a chest. Or you can go another route -- it's good to have a loose idea of other chests around the area of your route in case of this.

R E F I L L
At exactly 17:01 minutes left in the game, there will be a refill -- there is also one at 7:01 but it rarely occurs as it is death match by that time. All chests have new items in them and this means cornucopia, which has completely tier 2s. However, every dog and their uncle will go there and I always make sure I do. Make sure your chest route ends somewhere near it to get there as quick as possible.
If you see someone there, surprise ninja them when they're checking the chests at refill. If no one is there, awesome! But what you need to do is grab all the iron / chain armour, the arrows, food, anything helpful, craft if you need to then RUN because others are coming. If you are in a team, one person can keep watch while one checks and throws away the junk.

M E L E E
The fun part ;D this means fighting with swords, axes -- anything that gets up close and personal. First tip, never hit someone with your fists even at the start, it's annoying and it takes 20 hits to do, while a wood sword takes 5.

S T R A F I N G
A really important skill you'll want to learn is strafing. This means running around your opponent and jumping a lot. This increases the chance of a critical hit, which is performed when you are falling and hit someone and it's harder for your opponent to hit you when you are jumping about. You'll want to jump in and out of their range.

B L O C K H I T T I N G
I never use the tactic -- I should -- but it is very helpful if you are low on health and extremely extremely helpful when you can't strafe or don't have any advantages. This means clicking the left and right mouse buttons a few milliseconds apart, creating a 'block hit', which is blocking and hitting at the same time. This attacks, but doesn't do as much as a normal attack. However, it will often block your opponent's blows and it does help in many tough situations.

D O N ' T B E A F R A I D T O R U N
Running is helpful when you're low on health and can easily escape. This means regen'ing and it is hard for your opponent to catch up and kill you, unless they have a bow. That's why I suggest going in a zig-zaggy line while you do this so it's harder for them to shoot you. Take lots of corners and hug the sides of things so they can't cut you off.
NEVER EVER CLIMB LADDERS OR VINES when running away! They will just kill you, I'm serious.

A R C H E R Y
Archery in minecraft is really fun in my opinion! It takes some practice, but you'll become a Katniss Everdeen if you do practice. When shooting at a distance, you'll want to aim slightly above your opponent unless you are pulling back a fully-charged bow. This means holding the mouse button down longer so your string gets pulled back -- meaning more damage but taking up more time.
If someone is running towards you, shoot them as much as you can since it will be easy. Then whip out your sword and wa-lah! Also see Flint & Steel tips.

I love the 360 turn, it means when you're running suddenly turn, shoot and run again. If you're lucky, they'll be knocked back and will loose hunger, since the more hurt you are, the more regen'ing and the more regen'ing the more hunger you will loose.

As deathmatch starts, you'll want to aim an arrow at the person closest to you and pull it back full string -- so when deathmatch commences, BAM, they've got an arrow in their head.

F L I N T & S T E E L
A flint and steel is awesome, I'll just say that. Fire usually takes 4 hearts, depending on the armour and it slows the person down a lot as well as slightly blinds their vision with the flickering of fire on their view. It can easily change the fight.
When you flint and steel, you'll want to do it twice with a one space gap in between them, or just once, depends on how many people you're battling and if you're being chased or not. It's easy to determine.

360 Flint and steels is another amazing thing, turn, light up, BAM, the chaser is on fire. You can just turn and demolish them after that <3.

F I S H I N G R O D
"Fishing rod is god"
Anyways.
A fishing rod is helpful in many situations, whether to push back another player, make time to regen, push your teammate forward to get the next player or just fish. If you are teaming, the player behind can hit the other with a fishing rod -- doing no damage at all -- and it boosts them forward a tremendous amount. I also find it very helpful in situations where I need a few seconds to regen -- keep hitting the person trying to attack with your line. Sure, it'll annoy them to the ends of all earth, but who cares? As long as you live.

H O W T O G E T A N A D V A N T A G E
Advantages are key! I will list a few main ones you have to use below.
1) Below in water.
For water battles, you'll want to go under your opponent as you have a larger hit box (where you can hit them).
2) Below on land.
If you are fighting on the side of a hill, get below your opponent. It is the same as above, larger hit box. You can also jump off onto them and then get below them, hitting them on the way.
3) Climbing.
Simple, get below your opponent when they're climbing up vines or ladders. Easy kill.
4) BOWS IN WATER!
This is AMAZING ah my god -- lets say your opponent runs into the water, stay on shore or run after them, as long as you have a bow and arrows you are set. It isn't easy for them to run and even if they go underwater, you can still find them and easily hit them. A lot of newbies will run into water while being chased, which is a bad idea by the way, and then I / you will pulverize them with our mighty arrows <3.

C H A S I N G
If your opponent runs, they're low on health pretty much 90% of the time or they have a team mate around the corner. What you'll want to do is see where they will turn and cut them off, then smack them. If you are straight out running behind them, don't come right up to them then hit them, they will be boosted forward and you should only do this if they are very low on health, a 1 hit K.O.
Bows are really helpful here.
Boats are as well in water chases, but bows in water are explained above -- they're amazing.

T H E S E R V E R S & P L A Y E R S
I've met my fair share of hackers, trolls and just plain jerks. You'll probably want to create a forum account -- you probably have if you're reading this -- so you can report abuse and hackers.

L A G
Many people will say 'oh if you're australian go onto au servers', I'm an Aussie and I use US servers because the ammount of people and mods are 10000x that of the au servers. I get some lag, but not enough to ruin my game. Try to shut down everything else other than minecraft when you play, have a good computer and good router / internet. Don't blame lag when you die whether it was lag or not, you died either way and it's quite rude since the other person killed you, not lag and it's an awesome feeling when you kill someone.

R E P O R T I N G A B U S E
I want you to F2 or whatever your screenshot key is that baby. It will all be saved to;
C:\Users\yournamehere\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\screenshots
You CANNOT cut these down, they have to be the full screenshot to prove you don't have a hacked client or something. Please screen cap every single abuse / bypass / spam they do and follow the rules when reporting them.

R E P O R T I N G H A C K E R S
Hackers, we all hate them. I'm not going to tell you how to exactly report them, just follow the instructions in the 'Report Abuse' forum.
When a hacker kills you, you'll want to spec that player and turn on a recording software. I use Hypercam 3, which is simple for me and doesn't lag me too much. Make sure you capture their username and get a clear shot of their hacking.

D O N O T H A C K
Simple.

B E A F R I E N D L Y P L A Y E R
Everyone loves one and if you aren't, you could get banned if you offend someone too badly. It's okay to defend yourself in a way that doesn't inflict verbal damage on the other person, but be careful. I always say 'Good luck have fun and may the odds be ever in your favours <3 :) xx to all! ~' in every single one of my matches and a few people have started to know me for that. Yes, I mean e v e r y single match.

H A V E F U N
Don't rage when you loose! Take a chill pill, go pet your cat / dog / goldfish and calm down if you're really aggravated, then play again. If a hacker kills you, you have can say 'hacker!' I give you permission, but only in spec mode. If you get fisted to death by someone with a leather helmet and you have full iron and a diamond sword, I allow you to break your keyboard.

Also friends and teaming are fun, I don't care if you hate it. You can do 4+ teams if you want, but people won't like you for it. I know I barely go solo, playing with my little sister and friends is too fun!

EN - FREAKING - JOY IT
<3

I'm open for anything to add to this guide! :D So please give me your critiques or suggestions, I don't care how harsh they are ~

C O N T R I B U T O R S
Specton -- Fishing rod, a few blockhitting pointers, regions, armour ranks and wood axes.

Last edited:

Specton

Survivor
Reaction score
It's a great guide, a lot better than many of the other guides I've seen so far.

However, you did make a few small mistakes:
-Wood Axe is worse than a wooden or gold sword, in terms of damage
-Gold, Chain and Iron Armour aren't the same: Gold leggings are worse than chain leggings, and every piece of Iron Armour is (except for the helmet I think) better than chain armour.
-I would suggest adding a Fishing Rod to your hotbar setup, since the fishing rod technique is essential if you want to compete with the better players out there.
-Blockhitting can be really useful in areas where you can't strafe/do anything else to get an advantage over your opponent.
-I'd suggest playing in your own region if you want to get better, since even though the lag in other regions might not be terrible, your connection will still be better and you will probably play better.

That's all I can disagree on. Hope you don't feel offended by my criticism since overall it was a really good guide with a lot of detail in it.

Dragongirl10188

Survivor
Reaction score
Ahh don't worry I love criticism c:

I made a typo on the wood axe there xD I meant to put it below.
Oh, I learnt that off a youtuber that iron / gold / chain was the same, but I'll change that, thank you!
I'll add the fishing rod, as I do use it since it's helpful for boosting teammates and knocking back I don't know why I forgot it.
That explains why I die a lot heh.
I would play in AU, but my computer is a really good one and I get barely any lag -- plus I've met a lot of people on the US servers ^^ I do switch in between them if my internet is mad at me.

Thank you! ~<3

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci