• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

A General Question On FPS...

The_Arena_Master

Experienced
Reaction score
This is something that's been boggling me for a while.
When it comes to FPS, I've been seeing Optifine allow people to have up to 180 frames and sometimes people will say they have like 120 fps or something. But this is my wonder, once it goes above 60, is there anyway to tell a difference? I'm fairly certain it would be the exact same as 60 fps for any number thats above it. It wouldn't make a difference whether it was 1150 or 50. Someone please clear this up for me. :p

Krafty

District 13
Reaction score
I find it good to have a good graphics card even though it's hard to see the difference between 70FPS and 1000.
You have a lower risk of getting a lag spike, which is pretty important in a PvP server.

I play with an average of 300fps, fancy, normal. My gameplay improved a lot when I upgraded from my 20fps laptop to my sexeh built PC.

Kezzer

District 13
Reaction score
yes above 60 fps you wont get any smoother unless you have a high fps monitor. However high fps is less likely to hit a lag spike and if you have higher fps you have more power to change the quality of the looks :p

If you are at far and fast settings at 60 fps then you havent got much chance to up it to fancy as you will start to hit a few lag spikes whereas if you have 300 fps you can drop the fps slightly and not notice it

ARB1T3R

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
I always put my FPS slider onto 'VSync'. This way, my FPS automatically syncs with my monitors refresh rate. You are right, there is no point getting 100202384 FPS when your monitor will only refresh once a second (lol).

Zeno

Platinum
Reaction score
Past 60 FPS there is absolutely no difference besides, as mentioned earlier, ease of use. With a higher average FPS, you will get lag spikes much less frequently as well as being ale to play around with various settings and configure them to your liking without having to worry about your FPS.

XxGagaxX

District 13
Reaction score
Past 60 FPS there is absolutely no difference besides, as mentioned earlier, ease of use. With a higher average FPS, you will get lag spikes much less frequently as well as being ale to play around with various settings and configure them to your liking without having to worry about your FPS.
What that chick said.

SixZoSeven

Community Engagement Team Lead
Reaction score
There is something called a "refresh rate" Typically, most refresh rates of modern monitors are 60hz. This means that the monitor is not capable of visually producing FPS that is greater than 60. But, if someone were to have a 120hz monitor, they would want to be running at 120hz. I generally do not use Vsync unless I am getting a higher triple digit number. (Like I do on Minecraft)

I always put my FPS slider onto 'VSync'. This way, my FPS automatically syncs with my monitors refresh rate. You are right, there is no point getting 100202384 FPS when your monitor will only refresh once a second (lol).

Not sure what kind of monitor you have, but if it refreshed once a second, it would be running at 1FPS...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci