• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

These Tips Will Win You Games

Did this help you a bit?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kminer56

Platinum
Reaction score
So in my opinion, Minecraft simply cannot and will not be a competitive game. However, I still find SG to be a fun gametype, and I like to encourage competitive play within the community, so hopefully this guide helps people be more engaged in actually playing to win, for that's the purpose of a game of any sort. Forgive me if I use terminology from other games, I'm a pretty avid gamer and some of these terms apply quite well to Minecraft.

FnS - I'd like to get this out of the way first because I HATE FnS. It's far too prominent in my eyes and should be nerfed. So here's the deal. In an average game, you are going to get more than one FnS. That's at least 8 charges, and if you're decent with it, you can probably tag at least 4 players with that, so why not leverage it? Setting someone on fire sets them at a huge disadvantage and makes it a lot harder for them to run if the fight turns out in your favor, and with the amount of FnS in the game, well, you should be using it almost every fight. As I said, I hate the prominence of FnS, but you gotta use what you're given, that's just how it works in any game, even non-competitive ones.

Taking Corn - Going for spawn chests takes valuable time from your chest route that you may need to make sure you get enough T2s later on. The likelyhood of you finding anything valuable enough to risk not getting your route at spawn isn't great. In my opinion you should skip spawn almost every time if you plan on going for an area like cow on TSG2 or Auditorium on Valleyside. If you have an uncommon route it may be worth it. Speaking of routes....

Routes - It's pretty important to get gear fast in the early game, but of course, that gear won't do anything for you if you're dead. This area of knowledge is surprisingly dependant on your PvP skills. Are you good enough to snowball with only 5 1/2 bars of armor and a stone sword, or should you risk a juicy route to try and get stacked? Usually there are perfectly fine alternative routes, for example, A building on Valleyside that can usually get you some decent gear to snowball with, but you may have a good spawn and you want to rush a good area with a double T2 or something. In my experience, it's better to skip any chests except for the juicy T2s and then get the hell out of there. You can get T1s later, but you don't want to slow down and risk getting ganked by some kiddies who got stone swords from chests near spawn. It's purely situational, and surprisingly important to make the right choices with this.

Engagements - At the end of the day, you're going to end up fighting someone. Please keep in mind that nothing I say here will do much good without PvP skill to accompany it. When you fight, it's important to make sure you're taking smart engagements, in other words, fighting the right people at the right time. If you have a diamond sword and full iron, it makes no sense to take a 50/50 against some guy with a stone sword right after you come out of a fight. There's no shame whatsoever from running away from stupid engagements. Let that asshole call you a noob after he fails the chase! He doesn't know how to win, and you do. That's what matters. Another example is that if two stacked guys are at spawn fighting and you are undergeared, go on in and try to snipe a kill. Sure, you might get it up the... nvm, you might quickly die, but that's a risk you're gonna have to take anyway. Remember, you're undergeared, and you probably won't survive deathmatch if you just run around the map for the rest of the game. Those guys are gonna be more stacked from kills and the best you'll be able to do is kill some full leather bacca. I can't tell you exactly what to do for this, the important thing is to have good judgement and learn to try and make these calls yourself.

Chasing - I do not care how low the guy you're chasing is, you have to consider if it's worth it. I mean, he could be running you into a teammate. Sure, you might get the kill, but what good is that if you're dead? I know you're proud of that wombo combo you just got, and you want to finish him off, but think rationally, is that chase too dangerous? Is it worth your time? Will it cost too many resources? Take these questions into consideration before you truck after some guy for 10 minutes.

Hope these helped some people out.

Last edited:

Omri

Career
Reaction score
You should usually play passive the whole game and have really long routes that will garenty you the win. You don't even have to be that good at pvp. Just decent.

demonsushi

District 13
Reaction score
Pretty much the name of the game is knowing when to play safe and when to attack. I'm no guru with this kind of stuff, I'm terrible at survival games, but what I know is that it does not take good PvP skills to win lots of games. I, along with many other players, get over our heads and go for kills instead of the win. Whenever I get a stone sword off of spawn, I like an idiot, try to kill everyone and normally die. Or, I'll chase someone for years instead of leaving them be and playing safe. I'm too aggressive I think, so I don't ever win.

Omri

Career
Reaction score
Pretty much the name of the game is knowing when to play safe and when to attack. I'm no guru with this kind of stuff, I'm terrible at survival games, but what I know is that it does not take good PvP skills to win lots of games. I, along with many other players, get over our heads and go for kills instead of the win. Whenever I get a stone sword off of spawn, I like an idiot, try to kill everyone and normally die. Or, I'll chase someone for years instead of leaving them be and playing safe. I'm too aggressive I think, so I don't ever win.
I never fight anyone without knowing I either have an advantage or I have too

DaddyCleanup

Career
Reaction score
I agree with Omri , if you want to win a SG, just play passive and take as many chests as you can between tier 1's and tier 2's , and bowspamming in dm.. Of course that if you want to have some PvP action, be like me and rush for every person in game... Of course there will be always a team unless you're playing Solo SG, or even a hacker, and if that happens, BOWSPAM AND RUN, just do that, it's really helpful xD, unless that's a speed hacker. If that really happens to be, rip :/

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci