• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

The donation system needs a revamp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoelJCE

Career
Reaction score
donate
də(ʊ)ˈneɪt/
verb
  1. give (money or goods) for a good cause, for example to a charity.
    "the proceeds will be donated to an AIDS awareness charity"
    synonyms:give, give/make a donation of, make a gift of, contribute, make a contribution of, present, gift, subscribe, hand out, grant, bestow, pledge,put oneself down for, put up, come up with, accord; More
Key word being give for a good cause. Google doesn't think that you should get anything in return. MCSG gives us these perks because they're nice and they need to , but I really don't see the need to try to change the perks when you're (using synonyms now lol) gifting, handing out, granting, etc to MCSG when you click the "Donate" button.
MCGamer isn't donations. You're purchasing a product, which is why they're called premium ranks instead of donor ranks on the store. MCGamer doesn't grant abilities "because they're nice", they grant abilities because they're features of a paid product.

Last edited:

Professor Nub

Platinum
Reaction score
MCGamer isn't donations. You're purchasing a product, which is why they're called premium ranks instead of donor ranks on the Store. MCGamer doesn't grant abilities "because they're nice". They grant abilities because they're features of a paid product.
Title of the thread: "The donation system needs a revamp." MCGamer gives you a premium rank in return for a donation.

JoelJCE

Career
Reaction score
Title of the thread: "The donation system needs a revamp." MCGamer gives you a premium rank in return for a donation.
This is a business, not a charity. It doesn't matter what the title of this thread says or how you claim the business works. You are purchasing a product, not donating.

If you still disagree, I would consult the fine print you agree to before purchasing. I've included a link below to outline a key point. If you'd like to further argue over this matter, please contact me over private message and I'd be happy to prove you wrong.

EDIT: Included this to appease the lazy: http://i.imgur.com/XQlZbPt.png

Last edited:

Isaacswag

Career
Reaction score
Could you perhaps explain why you agree and disagree? Posting this didn't really influence many opinions, did it.
Ok I think that the gold should be at least $20 because you get it for 3 months, but other than that I agree

arsenal

District 13
Reaction score
MCGamer is a business. As such, my expectation is that the prices they charge for ranks and other features not only covers all their current costs, but also generates profit. Having a margin of profit is what stimulates the growth of this community; expansions can be made without creating a large deficit.

While these changes might make sense to you, they don't make sense from a company's financial standpoint; just the same way as lowering all iOS devices by 50% would make sense to a consumer, but would be destructive to the company as a whole. You have heard time and time again that servers are expensive. A lot of consideration has been put into the pricing of these ranks, SPECIFICALLY permanent ranks because they are only charged once, and after someone buys it they are unlikely to purchase anything else (you can consider that person's contributions done at that point; income then relies on new people entering the community).

While all of you may be quick to hop on the bandwagon and say, "Lower the prices!", may I remind you that MCGamer is not only still developing, but remains to be one of the cheapest Minecraft networks? In my personal opinion, the pricing is on par; $75 USD is a little more than the average price of a new Xbox One or PlayStation 4 game, and for that price you get to keep a rank forever in a community that will likely change far more than any console game ever will. For a $25 upgrade, you can get even more.

So it's painful to say, but I don't agree with any of your pricing suggestions. Not one. I DO agree that features may be lacking in certain areas, but ultimately the pricing should remain the same.
You can not compare this to an iOS device. That is a TOTALLY different thing. You see unlike an iOS device, a donor rank is free to manufacture. Therefore with an iOS device Apple has to price it so that it covers all the manufacturing costs. With MCGamer it is different. They just need to bring in enough money through the donor ranks to cover all the costs it takes to operate (not manufacture) this network. This is why they could lower the prices, if they think it would cause a lot more people would start to donate, potentially bringing in more money. Remember I am suggesting that the only two of the donor ranks have price cuts, and maybe a potential increase for gold. So this isn't that much of an change.

As for the servers are expensive point. If that was really a problem, then explain to me why MCG has 28 sgc servers when only about five are necessary. It also has about 50 more SG servers then are really needed. About two extra Zed Chase servers than necessary. And finally around six extra TF2 servers.

Oh, and for your PS4/Xbox One game point. Well, donating is not the same as buying a game. When you donate you only get access to a few perks. That is much more different than buying a game. Now, you could say well by me donating the same money as I would pay for a game, I feel like I am helping the server. Well fair enough if you want to think of it that way. But, going back to my previous point I think more people will donate if the prices are lowered.
Ok I think that the gold should be at least $20 because you get it for 3 months, but other than that I agree
I clearly stated in the post that if it was for $10 it would be monthly. Not for every three months.

JoelJCE

Career
Reaction score
You can not compare this to an iOS device. That is a TOTALLY different thing. You see unlike an iOS device, a donor rank is free to manufacture. Therefore with an iOS device Apple has to price it so that it covers all the manufacturing costs. With MCGamer it is different. They just need to bring in enough money through the donor ranks to cover all the costs it takes to operate (not manufacture) this network. This is why they could lower the prices, if they think it would cause a lot more people would start to donate, potentially bringing in more money. Remember I am suggesting that the only two of the donor ranks have price cuts, and maybe a potential increase for gold. So this isn't that much of an change.

As for the servers are expensive point. If that was really a problem, then explain to me why MCG has 28 sgc servers when only about five are necessary. It also has about 50 more SG servers then are really needed. About two extra Zed Chase servers than necessary. And finally around six extra TF2 servers.

Oh, and for your PS4/Xbox One game point. Well, donating is not the same as buying a game. When you donate you only get access to a few perks. That is much more different than buying a game. Now, you could say well by me donating the same money as I would pay for a game, I feel like I am helping the server. Well fair enough if you want to think of it that way. But, going back to my previous point I think more people will donate if the prices are lowered.
I do not make decisions on account of the amount of servers this network currently has. And why can't I make a comparison? It is perfectly valid. Ranks may be free to create, but servers and labor are not. These ranks are the only source of income this server has to maintain itself and the pricing is designed to cover those costs and more. You're saying that manufacturing and providing service should be two different costs. When it comes down to it, MCGamer doesn't manufacture, so all of its income goes toward hosting and paying the appropriate people who administrate the network.

I don't agree with your suggestion. Arguing won't change that. From my perspective the pricing is perfect; and I think you need no more indication of that from the people who continue purchasing ranks.

As Serverr said, if you can't pay for a rank, tough luck. This is real money; real income and real costs. You cannot expect people to lower their prices just because you can't afford it. Sure, more people might buy something if it's cheaper, but prices are set a certain way for a reason. You need to ensure that you're making enough money with your current price to cover costs. Supply and demand.

Last edited:
E

Ephiza

I realize this is a necro, but I think this would be a good thing if I said it.

Lower the prices, but the people that already bought diamond donor, get silent join, and then people that bought platinum get silent join, and get +1 vote. But people that buy it after the price change, don't get anything other than what platinum/diamond would give normally. Just my two cents : )

Imanol

Diamond
Reaction score

Lower the prices, but the people that already bought diamond donor, get silent join, and then people that bought platinum get silent join, and get +1 vote. But people that buy it after the price change, don't get anything other than what platinum/diamond would give normally. Just my two cents : )
Please don't post necro's on inactive threads

E

Ephiza

Please don't post necro's on inactive threads

masond123

Platinum
Reaction score
Thread locked due to necro. In the future, please do not post on threads that:
  • Have not been posted on in over a month
  • Are not still relevant
Thank you, and have a great day!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics