• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

The Awful Rule & The Sr. Mod

CrazyTaco

Gold
Reaction score
Hello, my name is CrazyTaco (or Hayden). I have been playing the server for years on multiple accounts, never any problems (bans, mutes, etc). Until recently, a Senior Mod muted me for supposed "filter bypass". The word I had used was "reck", there are 2 meanings, and neither have are inappropriate. After using it in this sentence "If it was us I would reck u". I was muted for "filter bypass". Although, to my knowledge it's not bypassing a filter. I never tested the word "rec" (as in record), or "rek" (as in beat). Check the Xime, I have never used the word. All the sudden, I am muted for 3 hours (filter bypass 1st offence), for saying this word. After getting muted, I went on teamspeak and debated with a sr mod on why I was muted, I also explained why the word is/ should be an acceptable word. They explained that the word was not acceptable, and I said "ok". If the MCGamer rules say to not use a word, I won't use it. The only problem here is, the rules aren't posted any where except privately to the moderators. When telling them this, they said "just use common sense". Although, everyone's common sense varies, and what may be acceptable varies. For instance, how I think using the word "reck" is personally fine, they may think otherwise. This can easily be abused by staff members, and if they feel like muting one person, they'll do it (my case). If not they won't. Another problem with this is; after debating for several minutes on the teamspeak, they (after having a personal interaction) were the one denying my mute appeal.

In conclusion, the following rules need to be created/ changed;

A. If a staff member has a personal interaction with another member, they can not accept/ deny applications or appeals.
B. A list of unacceptable words/ phrases should be posted on the forums to prevent "filter bypass" and abuse.

The point of this forum was not to dispute a punishment, it was to explain a current error in the MCGamer rules.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yannick

District 13
Reaction score
Hi there,

I understand where you are coming from. You were punished for doing something you did not know was against the rules. I also understand that you want to have a clear list of all the filtered words.

However, you can find the current rules here: http://www.mcgamer.net/threads/mcgamer-updated-rules-version-3-0.12254/

Any time we have a new policy of change something in the rules, it will be announced with a thread in the News & Announcements section (Front Page). When the trash talking filter was introduced, we posted a thread announcing it. That can be found here: http://www.mcgamer.net/threads/introducing-the-trashtalk-filter.175545/.

That thread is visible for everyone. It also gives some examples, and one of them is the word "rekt".

I do think you have a point to make it very easy for people to find/know which words are filtered and I will be looking into that and see what I can do.

Now, for this:
A. If a staff member has a personal interaction with another member, they can not accept/ deny applications or appeals.
There are two sides to this. First of all, we expect every staff member to treat every player equally. Even if they are a sibling, or a friend. So we don't need to make this a rule since every staff member is expected to be able to handle every situation fairly.
The other side, which mainly comes in place with the HR side (Mod apps, Interviews and Mod reports), is that some people might be more lenient towards a friend. So if someone has a very close connection with an Applicant, they would have to abstain from voting on the Application or Interview.

Hope this answered some of your questions.

I have also edited out the name of the staff member that you posted in the thread. If you do not like how they handled the situation, please report them privately to me.

Have a nice day,
Yannick

CrazyTaco

Gold
Reaction score
Ok, thank you for your help. I am sorry for using the staff members name. I will carefully monitor what I say from now on.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci