• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

SURVIVAL GAMES Origins (Requiem v2.0)

What's the verdict?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Guinessis

Experienced
Reaction score

Features:
- 200+ prefilled chests.
- Roughly 280 block radius

Storyline:
You and your fellow combatants have arrived on the abandoned island of Requiem. Search for hidden treasures, clues as to the whereabouts of the former inhabitants, and most importantly do your best to survive until dawn.

Trailer (low quality I know):

Comments:
Massively updated version of Requiem. Updates include:
- Reworked the beacon meta game to be more reliable. Now rather than flipping toggles at the four corners, players must bring the keystones to the central location and place them at the altars. This avoids any redstone glitches or bugs.
- All structures have been overhauled to be more aesthetically pleasing, both the Relics and the pilgrim settlements.
- All chest contents have been updated.
- Added additional structures (houses), paths (skybridges), and scenery (giant mushrooms).

Use:
If you want to use it on a server I'd appreciate it if you credited me and let me know that it has found a good home.

Download Links: http://www.mediafire.com/download/le8vri5vjhzic03/Blocktopia_SMP - Origins - MCSG.zip

Gameplay:
This map is a bit of a different beast than most SG maps I've seen, so here are a few tips.
- Use the environment to your advantage. There are many points in the map designed to function as ambush points or choke points. Knock better-geared foes to their deaths (or into the water).
- If you can collect the keystones you'll be in good shape. Just don't wander into an ambush while carrying them, as you'll just be helping someone else.
- The map may look confusing, but the layout is fairly open and there are distinctive landmarks and paths. Give it some time.
- Ranged combat is favored here thanks to the layout. Often you'll be able to see someone long before you can hit them with a sword.
- Don't blindly chase after players, especially on the skybridges.

Walkthrough:

The theme of Origins is a combination of ancient structures that have been converted into towns and villages by the pilgrims. These structures are often connected by series of skybridges that offer fast transit across the terrain at a higher risk of being spotted.

The cornucopia is at the top of the central largest structures. There are multiple paths to reach the surrounding regions from here, but it will be a bit tricky to get out unscathed.

The map may be broken down into three rings. The central structure is the focal part of the action. The second ring consists of a large lake with multiple bridges and paths across to reduce swimmers. The outer ring is a dense forest with many secrets and settlements.

The entire map is set on a floating island. This allows for no glass dome, and no waterfalls are present for sneaky players to hide in.

There are several "Relics" or shrines around the island, each with their own lore.

The surrounding forest is completely custom. Paths with signposts are scattered about, connecting all the major points of interest and aiding in communication.

There are four beacons, each containing a keystone. Keep your eyes open.

Renders:

Side:

Overview:

Last edited:

PokeJosh

Experienced
Reaction score
I just downloaded the map. I'm always skeptical about screenshots.

But this is beautiful.

I know that this map has extreme potential.

chockadlad

District 13
Reaction score
Huge improvement from your first map! :D I think it might be a bit too gray, really nice trees, good work overall imo.
Is the tree in the first image floating? if it is I would recommend to have vines or branches downwards or making it bigger or connected to the ground somehow, looks weird with a floating tree imo
EDIT: Oh my pooping good, amazing touch with the mushrooms looking like apples in your trees! You've got high potential!

lakerfuffle

Career
Reaction score
Your last post generated a ton of positive feedback and Chad himself noted interest. This is by all means even better and I'd really like to see it in a future addition of maps. Right now I'd say this and Pokejosh's candy map have the best potential.

Guinessis

Experienced
Reaction score
I just downloaded the map. I'm always skeptical about screenshots.

But this is beautiful.

I know that this map has extreme potential.
Thanks! I appreciate you taking the time to download the map and look around. Screenshots are useful for capturing people's attention but they don't provide a complete picture (hah).

Huge improvement from your first map! :D I think it might be a bit too gray, really nice trees, good work overall imo.
Is the tree in the first image floating? if it is I would recommend to have vines or branches downwards or making it bigger or connected to the ground somehow, looks weird with a floating tree imo
EDIT: Oh my pooping good, amazing touch with the mushrooms looking like apples in your trees! You've got high potential!
I dug up the first version and compared it to a new one. "Ew" was a common thought.

The tree in the first image is floating on a pedestal. Originally it was anchored to the corn, but I thought that obstructed things a bit too much so I raised it up a bit. The tree has colored blocks marking the cardinal directions on each side so players can use it as a compass of sorts while they explore the surrounding areas. I'll see if I can tweak it a bit to make it blend with the landscape a bit better. Once again thanks for your feedback on the original - I think the reduction of the water and addition of more islands has helped a lot.

Your last post generated a ton of positive feedback and Chad himself noted interest. This is by all means even better and I'd really like to see it in a future addition of maps. Right now I'd say this and Pokejosh's candy map have the best potential.
Much appreciated! That was one frustrating bit - the last submission racked up the "best map evar" posts, had a post from ChadtheDJ himself, and yet also racked up silent negative votes with no reasons given. I feel like the map failed to gain traction with the people who actually decide these things, and I'd like to know why.

So following that thought, @CaptButterToast , any comments as to what you'd like to see changed or improved since afaik you are on the new map committee?

Reaction score
TheOfficialWils' official review no. 2

Good:
  • The map is well laid out and looks nice. Generally the builds look nice.
  • Great custom trees.
  • Cool theme. I like the idea of having a meta game in the map.

Bad:
  • Some of the smaller wooden huts look pretty bad lacking the same detail put into the larger structures.
  • The meta game isn't obvious and won't be picked up by the vast majority of players.
  • Not sure I'm that keen on the cubes.

Other:
  • I'm not sure that gameplay will be that great on the map but it's hard to tell.

Score:

7.9/10

Nice map, I would like to have a chance to play on it.

Mlpoknzaba

Diamond
Reaction score
I love the map!

Aren't you that guy who has made loads of maps for the zombie server?
I can't remember the name, I deleted it accidentally and can't find the IP again

Guinessis

Experienced
Reaction score
I love the map!

Aren't you that guy who has made loads of maps for the zombie server?
I can't remember the name, I deleted it accidentally and can't find the IP again
Thanks! And yes, that's me haha, I'll PM you the IP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci