• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

5 ways to kill a thread

Mooclan

Forum God
Reaction score
Feel free to read this thread with as much attitude and sass as you possibly can.
Unless you're a staff member who's trying to lock or censor the thread. In that case, please ignore this thread and move onto the next clan thread of little significance.
;)

This goes out to all you homies who don't know a thing about foruming the right way.

This goes out to all you people who think that posting a reply to a thread that is 1-3 lines and doesn't have any real significance or meaning is acceptable.

This goes out to all you unoriginal folks who are killing the forums...

...if it hasn't died already.

-snip-

I'm not saying that I'm a perfect forumer who hasn't made replies like this - almost everyone has at some point or another. It's just that these types of posts aren't what we, as forum-users, should be aiming for.

Actually, that's a pretty mild way of putting it..

- 2:
Making posts and threads that discourage conversation and discussion.
If a thread is 100% complete and leaves no room for more input from other forumers, then it is discouraging to discussion. After all, what else is there to discuss if it has all already been said?

Certain people such as BitoBain and Miner9823 can consistently make fantastic, well-written, detailed essays about all sorts of topics. But one of the reasons that they were never able to be recognized as the best forumer, (aside from me being at the top) was because they weren't able to effectively encourage discussion and debate. Their posts were complete and final.

The Arena Master, on the other hand, was fantastic at encouraging heated discussion. Unfortunately, his views were often portrayed in a way that was too radical or extreme, and ended up getting him banned.

- 3:
Coming up with bland thread topics.
As much as some people may try, very few have been able to consistently create interesting and compelling threads. Even the best forumers often have difficulty, and "dry" periods where they can't think of good thread ideas, and if they can then they often have issues actually writing the full thread.

So why not just blame it on the age of the forums, eh? Why not just say "All the good threads have already been written!"
Because it's not true.

- 4:
Writing threads that have already been written.

Let's take a few examples:
- Top PVPer (of [X] region)
- Top Clans (of [X] region)
- Top Forumer
- Top Mod
- Please get rid of the hackers
- Revive the forums
- The staff team is bad
- The staff team is good
- The staff team gets too much hate
- The staff team gets too much credit
The list goes on... and on... and... you guessed it! - on even further.

Unless you're able to bring something new to the table, you're just stabbing an already-dead-or-doomed-to-die Roman general.
(seriously, 23 times? that's a bit much...)

If, by some miracle known as a stroke on Mooclan's keyboard, someone is actually able to bring some legitimate life to an old topic instead of just performing CPR on a corpse that was beheaded, then go for it!
(news flash! the air goes in one end and out the other on a two-second journey!)

...but seriously, i'm almost ready and willing to bribe Mufasa to put a thread filter in place..

- 5:
Being a scrublord.

I'm going to say this straight up - some of you people are just awful at foruming. This sounds mean, I know, but it's true, and forumers from what some refer to as the "golden age" of foruming will agree with me, even if they'd usually put it more mildly.

If people want me to bring life back to the forums, then I have to be blunt sometimes. This is one of those times.

that's enough polite-trash-talk for one night, I think.
have a wonderful evening.

Last edited by a moderator:

Beardy

District 13
Reaction score
Nice

No seriously, I'm also a victim to these kinds of responses. I may or may not have had a ridiculous amount of posts just like this (well, they could be better at times) so I could get to the top poster list. Now that I'm here, I realize it was a stupid way to get there, and I'm trying to clean up my act.

As somebody who came from "the golden age of foruming," this is a bad time for the forums. I think some of these people can be very funny with their short responses, that's why they're called one liners. However, unless you can consistently provide us entertaining one liners, please, don't bother with your weak posts.

LittleKisses

Quantum
Reaction score
I totally get what you are trying to say here but age and varying degrees of education/literacy may come into play with 'foruming' and the ability to come up with quality posts.
I don't think people should be discouraged to the point of being too scared to post/reply, it's something that takes practice and everyone has to start somewhere and gain confidence.

Also, what someone views as bland, another may view as interesting? With so many different personalities using this platform of communication, there is always going to be differing opinions on what posts are controversial/encouraging worthy debates and those that are just blatant trolling for the hell of it (which some people do enjoy anyway).

However, you did provide some useful tips for people to use and tbh I am not always in the mood to read righteous, long screeds. Sometimes I get a giggle out of the 'one liners' and pointless but entertaining posts.

All in all I guess it comes down to the diversity of the community and peoples individuality as to what gets posted here.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Divining

Platinum
Reaction score
Shout-out for including one of my quotes in here...

Too bad it was edited. Oh wait, I checked the pre edit version, I don't understand this thread. ;-;

Reaction score
Just like 2012/2013 was the Golden age of the servers, it was the Golden age of forming as well.

MrSlimShady

Survivor
Reaction score
Just like 2012/2013 was the Golden age of the servers, it was the Golden age of forming as well.
2012/2013/2014 2015 has been trash.

One of the most immature forumers in the world: Nirmit. Posted 20 threads in a day, disrespected the crap out of staff, made bad threads, didn't know what grammar was. He only had one good idea, Tribute Times, which Col came up with, I Saw the unedited version of the first edition, it was crap, then people helped him. He got banned so many times on TS and on the forums. Also was the worst singer in OMN.

Kcud

Spectator
Reaction score
As a newcomer to the forums, this thread seemed like something that would be particularly helpful to me, but instead, I'm just kind of confused.

The opening of the thread was very condescending and almost seemed bossy. You made a thread earlier about respecting the staff and what they do, so if they see something that needs to be done about this thread, then I say let them do it.

The first thing that really confused me was that your second point, which seemed to be a pretty important point. You contradicted your own point by making this thread- there's really nothing to discuss. The only replies you will get to a thread like this are just people praising you and the thread or people disagreeing with something you said, and if they disagree, I'm sure there will be some sort of flame, or their post will be deleted so that will end up nowhere at all. You also made another thread today ('5 reasons the staff team is worse than you think') which was pretty much a sarcastic, fun post, which I can respect, but it was totally pointless, and seemed like yet another forced thread.

You stated in point 3 that it's important to make compelling and interesting threads, and not to be rude, because that is not the point of this post, but this thread is neither compelling nor interesting. If you look at this thread as if it's a guide, which I suppose is fair enough, it wouldn't need to be particularly compelling or even a thread necessary for discussion, but this doesn't really strike me as a guide. The thread has a slight condescending tone throughout the entirety, which is a bit weird and slightly off-putting and causes it to give off a very 'cocky' vibe.

Also, oddly enough, the thread you made early about the staff team is literally on the list of threads you said have already been made and shouldn't be made again. All the points you brought up have already been mentioned, or could have been brought up on one of the old threads you talked about the stroke of your keyboard reviving.

I feel like this thread was made just for the sake of making a thread. This is your third thread of the day and I assume it's just the hype causing you to want to make threads, which I get, but unless this thread is supposed to be sarcastic, it doesn't make any sense, and just seems like a grab for likes, attention, and to boost your posts and presence on the forums.

I think it would be a lot easier for new forummers to enter the forummers if the current 'popular forummers' would hop off of their high horse. It's a very uncomfortable setting to enter as a newcomer when the current 'big' forummers seem to think that nobody but themselves posts anything worthwhile on the forums. Give other people a chance, and maybe give their threads some of your almighty, all-knowing replies.

I'm not here to start anything, I just had some thoughts I wanted to share, so I guess this is my polite trash-talking for the day and the sass you asked for :p

Reaction score
As a newcomer to the forums, this thread seemed like something that would be particularly helpful to me, but instead, I'm just kind of confused.

The opening of the thread was very condescending and almost seemed bossy. You made a thread earlier about respecting the staff and what they do, so if they see something that needs to be done about this thread, then I say let them do it.

The first thing that really confused me was that your second point, which seemed to be a pretty important point. You contradicted your own point by making this thread- there's really nothing to discuss. The only replies you will get to a thread like this are just people praising you and the thread or people disagreeing with something you said, and if they disagree, I'm sure there will be some sort of flame, or their post will be deleted so that will end up nowhere at all. You also made another thread today ('5 reasons the staff team is worse than you think') which was pretty much a sarcastic, fun post, which I can respect, but it was totally pointless, and seemed like yet another forced thread.

You stated in point 3 that it's important to make compelling and interesting threads, and not to be rude, because that is not the point of this post, but this thread is neither compelling nor interesting. If you look at this thread as if it's a guide, which I suppose is fair enough, it wouldn't need to be particularly compelling or even a thread necessary for discussion, but this doesn't really strike me as a guide. The thread has a slight condescending tone throughout the entirety, which is a bit weird and slightly off-putting and causes it to give off a very 'cocky' vibe.

Also, oddly enough, the thread you made early about the staff team is literally on the list of threads you said have already been made and shouldn't be made again. All the points you brought up have already been mentioned, or could have been brought up on one of the old threads you talked about the stroke of your keyboard reviving.

I feel like this thread was made just for the sake of making a thread. This is your third thread of the day and I assume it's just the hype causing you to want to make threads, which I get, but unless this thread is supposed to be sarcastic, it doesn't make any sense, and just seems like a grab for likes, attention, and to boost your posts and presence on the forums.

I think it would be a lot easier for new forummers to enter the forummers if the current 'popular forummers' would hop off of their high horse. It's a very uncomfortable setting to enter as a newcomer when the current 'big' forummers seem to think that nobody but themselves posts anything worthwhile on the forums. Give other people a chance, and maybe give their threads some of your almighty, all-knowing replies.

I'm not here to start anything, I just had some thoughts I wanted to share, so I guess this is my polite trash-talking for the day and the sass you asked for :p
The reason I believe Mooclan made this thread sound condescending was to cause some kind of controversy. I am not praising flaming or anything but some suttle debate is what once made the forums once interesting.. Sadly I don't see enough threads today that promote this, it has made the forums alot less interesting in my eyes

Ceroria

Mockingjay
Reaction score
banned

Regarding your point, I totally agree. Considering the majority of the original foruming community has left, and in their replacement came a whole lot more non-English speakers and newer players not exactly sure of our customs, things have changed.

It seems like as time passes, and the more original forumers leave, they are replaced by people who just follow the norm, which becomes decreasingly original. It's rather unfortunate considering there are a lot of upcoming forumers (and forumers who came and left in the last year or so) that would have been able to thrive so much more in the so called "golden age" if there were people to set the norm for originality.

The other thing I'm seeing, and the thing that kills me the most, is when people reply to threads without even reading the full context of them. I'm not talking about the people who just spam "pvp" or "first", I mean the people who have applied for mod or moderators who look at a thread that says "Help me, I was banned but don't have my evidence. Can a moderator please give it to me?" and then the person will reply with the exact same response as everyone else with the "Hi! If you believe you were banned unfairly, please submit a dispute here and make sure to follow all the rules on the MCGamer Network. Have a great day!"

^ what's wrong with that response?

Hmmm....

a) They didn't address that member's concern at all.

b) There will likely be 3-4 community members, NOT mods, who post that exact response before a moderator comes in and does the SAME thing, and nobody addresses the poor guy's issue. He never gets his evidence, and leaves the community on a poor note.

c) It makes these people look a bit silly because it's just 5 people posting the exact same reply on the thread, yet none of them actually made up any original part of that very response.

I'm seeing this pattern become more and more common among newer and newer members of the forums.

So how can something be done about this? Well, it's simple, really. Eliminating the so called "minimods" who are new to the community and don't know any better is easy by creating strict prerequisites on when and how one can apply for moderator. Once a new member to the community has about 6 months of experience on the forums, they will be better suited for the moderator position, and by then hopefully they would have learned how to be a bit more original (key word there) to make a better experience for the staff team and people who have to deal with them.

It has been stated that there are "high standards for upcoming moderators" so let's take a quick check and make sure we're still living up to those standards because it's hardly convincing anyone anymore.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci