• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Why the Community likes V2 Chests more.

What do you value more in a video-game?

• Total voters

Theoretical

District 13
Reaction score
Oh, the chest update. Such controversy!
written entirely between doing chores xD

Most people are afraid of change. Especially gamers. We know that developers could take a perfectly good game, and try to change, trying to better it, but really making everything a lot worse *cough cough Ace of Spades cough* . We've lost plenty of good titles to bad kinds of change or change that would influence the flow of money into a company's pockets. We don't want a new addition to an already fun-to-play game. It could just ruin it. I believe this to be one of the many factors that goes into the 71% dislike of a chest nerfing.

Another factor is, well, not being good. The majority of people are in the phase where they lose... a lot. Knowing that chest nerfing would make it their lives even harder than they already have it is not a pleasant thought. If they knew that they could hit a lucky streak with the new chest system instead of all grouping up at their favorite Youtuber's chest route or running blindly into who knows where, they could just find a chest that nobody else could have with the tier 3 randomization. Also, the v1 chests don't only nerf what's inside them, it nerfs what pros are able to do. Instead of hitting up your favorite routes, a pro may just not get anything they need at all, giving a 'bad' player a little bit of an upper hand where at first they had none.

And, although I loved the v2 chests, I think that they could've used a bit of nerfing even with out a whole new layout or update. Five people in iron with diamond swords is just a bit too much. While you can easily play and mess around, you don't truly experience the desired point of the game: to survive. Personally, I enjoy games that involve searching, finding, and surviving. Games like Skyrim, the Legend of Zelda Series, or Spelunky. Players get a burst of
adrenaline from barely surviving a situation and just having enough resources to scrape their sorry selves through to the end and achieve victory. These adrenaline situations are few and far between on the v2 chests. With the v2 chests, you're well equipped and ready for anything. You'd charge a team head on if you saw one. With the v1 chests, however, you're always endangered by something. Lack of food, lack of weapons, lack of armor, lack of... friends. A team is an object you need to avoid unless you equipped yourself well enough. You may just be forced into killing to survive instead of being able to walk away and being bloated with your 17 loaves of bread.

So yes, I support v1 chests as much as any old-timer, but I really don't think the public polls should be enough evidence. People just need to try something new. It'd be great to have the chest update with a 'trial' to see if people liked it or not in everyday existence.

TL;DR? I bolded some stuff, too.
Well said, and funnily put! Yet, while I did rely on the 71% to make a big portion of my point, I want people to acknowledge that there are different ways to interpret it. Whether to value chests because of how fun they are or to value chests because of how balanced they are. And fun is clearly valued more, thus why I'm a supporter of the V2 chests -- my reasoning in the thread. While you can say it is because people are scared of change, it could also be because it's simply, well more fun.

Another thing I want people to notice, is that the forum community is made up of old timers who we know prefer the V1 chests. While it is only a single poll I think 71% is quite decisive and should lead us to think differently on how we decide what to change.

Last edited:

EricParazak

Tommy Wiseau
Reaction score
Why can't we have both? One set of servers, maybe like 50, will be "nostalgia" with old chests, maybe mobs and fewer maps. All the other servers can be the usual v2 MCSG. That seems like the best solution.
Don't forget about the removed maps. It's kind of like how the Overcast Network did it, the Nostalgia server is known for having removed maps, so I feel as the devs should possibly do this too. :)

Reaction score
2 -3 Tier 2s will still take the same amount of time as 4 - 5 Tier 2s with the V2 chests. The main reason why us Moderators re-did most of the Tier 2s was to fix Tier 2s that were too close together. It doesn't make as much sense to say your PvP'ing more, when it's around the same.
I am probably just lucky because in every map apart from SG3 (where my 6 tier 2 chest route was turned in to a 0 tier chest route) because my chest routes really remain unchanged except for maybe one chest here and there. So I do tend to PvP more for the reasons I stated earlier.

Yet, you could still get that same amount of food looking through chests in the time it takes you to find 2 - 3 people. It's also safer to scavenge. It's also smarter. Back to the reason why people have said the chest update is less about PvP, and more about scavenging.
It isn't smater to scavenge , its smater to take on other players as it is a more efficient method for gathering food and equipment. I do agree that it is safer to scavenge so I could see alot of people taking that choice.

You said that you were PvP'ing more with the new chest update. If you're PvP'ing more with the new chests, why are you saying the Survival aspect is diminished with V2? I mean, your contradicting yourself.
It is true that I PvP more but that is my way of surviving. In V2 I could run my chest route and then sit on some building and wait until deathmatch with no problems and I would be no worse armoured than the other players. In V1 if I was to run my chest route I would be under armoured even if I had gone to 5-6 chests. At the end of my chest route I therefore have two choices on how to survive the deathmatch, either take on other players or explore to find new chests and wait for refill. So my PvPing in V1 is out of the need for survival rather than wanting to PvP.

That's still true with the V2 chests. Only in the end of the game with the V2 chests did you have all of those items. In the beginnings of games to mid-game sometimes I only had FnS, others, a fishing rod. The PvP is still as much in depth. Yet, I do see your point. V1 does offer a little bit more depth as it is harder to collect items, but I wouldn't say it's riddled of it entirely. I still don't want to have V2 chests, nor do I want V1. In a perfect world I would like to have the V2 chests edited to have a bit less food, FnS, fishing rods, ect. Unfortunately, I don't think this is a perfect world so I'll accept V1 or V2 chess.
In V2 I usually find FnS and a fishing rod in the first 5mins, I am then able to collect a full set of equipment in under 10mins. In V1 if I want to get a full set of it will take me much longer probably more like double the time it would take me in V2.

Searching for people to kill is a type of exploring, and I do that EVERY game with the V2 chests. Also, from a new player standpoint, exploring could still be helpful.
I agree, but you do have to explore more with V1.

Don't take any of this personally, I quite like debating. (I have a couple classes that focus on it.) Good points my friend!
Although I prefer V1 and I would like it to say I have always thought that the middle ground would probably be best as it accomodates everyone. I am just debating to show you the benefits of V1.

Theoretical

District 13
Reaction score
I am probably just lucky because in every map apart from SG3 (where my 6 tier 2 chest route was turned in to a 0 tier chest route) because my chest routes really remain unchanged except for maybe one chest here and there. So I do tend to PvP more for the reasons I stated earlier.

It isn't smater to scavenge , its smater to take on other players as it is a more efficient method for gathering food and equipment. I do agree that it is safer to scavenge so I could see alot of people taking that choice.

It is true that I PvP more but that is my way of surviving. In V2 I could run my chest route and then sit on some building and wait until deathmatch with no problems and I would be no worse armoured than the other players. In V1 if I was to run my chest route I would be under armoured even if I had gone to 5-6 chests. At the end of my chest route I therefore have two choices on how to survive the deathmatch, either take on other players or explore to find new chests and wait for refill. So my PvPing in V1 is out of the need for survival rather than wanting to PvP.

In V2 I usually find FnS and a fishing rod in the first 5mins, I am then able to collect a full set of equipment in under 10mins. In V1 if I want to get a full set of it will take me much longer probably more like double the time it would take me in V2.

I agree, but you do have to explore more with V1.

Although I prefer V1 and I would like it to say I have always thought that the middle ground would probably be best as it accomodates everyone. I am just debating to show you the benefits of V1.
You seem to have gotten off fairly lucky in terms of V1 with your routes, and a lot of your points still remain true to you. Fun fact, I do like V1 a lot (without Tier3s), I'm just trying to give a good arguement to those who support V2, as the community seems to be pressuring people to like V1. I do already know the V1 benefits.

Last edited:

TheYahcookie

Career
Reaction score
I completely agree. Another factor regarding towards the update is, yes, though it requires "skill" to win, it's just impossible to take out teams. With the minimal amount off items you get per chest, having a team of even 2 people will increase that team's chances of finding valuable items. Then you (the one with full leather) have to go up against a team of 2 of pretty good players with leather/gold/chain gear and it's nearly an inevitable death.
-- They should also fix the chests, breeze island has 2 chests at corn, and like 8 around the rest of the map --

Kezzer

District 13
Reaction score
I personally think that the v2 chests are too OP but v1 was just not quite enough. Somewhere in between would be quite nice as full iron with a diamond sword used to be a thing of glory whereas now it is the norm. I personally want to see crafting benches become more necessary through the use of arrow crafting as arrows are way too easy to obtain and in early game they really are a game changer.

Gustyy

Platinum
Reaction score
Theo, thank you so much for making this! So clear. But..
My opinion: The survival aspect is really bad at the moment, I mean soooo much food..
They should at least nerf that.

Theoretical

District 13
Reaction score
Theo, thank you so much for making this! So clear. But..
My opinion: The survival aspect is really bad at the moment, I mean soooo much food..
They should at least nerf that.
Again, I do agree we need to change the way the chests function to add back that Survival feel, but I think V2 is a better place to start.

OP Stuff.
That's an ignorant way to put it -- the reason the community liked it is not because of the OP stuff, but how the OP stuff influenced how the game was played, making it more fun.

im_Batman225

Diamond
Reaction score
This is exactly what I wanted. The v2 chests should definetly be be the staring point of the change, not the v1's.
And random tier 2's have disappeared and messed up/nerfed some of my chest routes.
I think that they should keeps all the tiers and in each game two random tier 2's become tier 3's.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci