• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Why the Community likes V2 Chests more.

What do you value more in a video-game?

• Total voters

Theoretical

District 13
Reaction score
My Opinion on the Chest Update
Written entirely during my math class xD

I’ve played a few games, and determined my final opinion on the chest update. I understand that some people have differing opinions, and I respect that -- If you disagree however, please simply say your reasoning, as I don’t want to start a flame war.

*When I say v1 chests, I’m referring to the chest update.

*When I say v2 chests, I’m referring to the kinds of chests before the chest update.

------------------------------

There’s this pressure to love the chest update. The old timers, such as myself love it as it is a blast from the past, and a lot more balanced from the v2 chests. The game has resumed its survival feel, as you can’t only rely on killing players for food and armor. There’s a bigger pressure to scavenge for food. You must play the game a lot more defensively, and as such the gameplay is not as high quality. PvP is a secondary thought.

The way chests are designed greatly influence how the game is played. With the v2 chests, the gameplay is a lot more intriguing, as PvP is a bigger priority than scavenging--PvP in itself is a form of scavenging. In the case of v2, more of the population enjoy it, for a couple of reasons. The better PvPers love it because the game is more focused on fighting, and the rest (who are not good PvPers or old timers) like it because it’s fairly easy to collect good loot. In v2, it was simply getting a weapon, maybe a piece of armor, and then relying on food and other necessities gathered by killing. That’s why the recent poll showed these findings:

In my opinion, I prefer the v2 chests. The gameplay is a lot more tedious, and the maps are used more creatively. Whereas with the case of the v1 chests, the gameplay is mainly collecting items, which is hard because there is a lack of them in chests, and when there are items typically they aren’t as good a caliber.
The problem that the community made when looking to update the chests is they listened to the forum community, which are A. Only 10% of the in-game population, and B. the majority of forumers are old timers. And we know almost all old timers prefer the v1 chests. The other problem we are facing is that there are two ways to look at chests. One being what’s fun to play, the other being what’s balanced. When playing a video-game, my intentions are to have fun, which is why I prefer the v2 chests. I’ll admit, they aren’t as balanced as the new chest update, but they are more fun. What is more however, is that the chest update is not quite balanced yet either, with Tier 3s being a little too overpowered.

Now some of you have been saying “It’s the Survival Games, not the PvP games”, to counter those who say the v2 chests are better. Survival can also be avoiding being killed, or killing. Survival does not necessarily translate into scavenging. Also, yes, it is called that, but does that make it better? I mean, what do we value here? How fun the game is, or how balanced it is? The chest update is not totally balanced yet, and the gameplay certainly isn’t as good if everyone is scavenging the majority of the time.

My conclusion depends on what the community wants. Fun gameplay? Or balanced gameplay? From the poll (cited above), the community wants fun gameplay. My conclusion being is to keep the v2 update, but edit it a bit. Add in Tier 3s (balanced though, as we still need to find a good balance for them), and edit Tier 2s to make them a LITTLE bit less overpowered.

One thing I must say -- the forum community may disagree greatly with me, but again, as I said earlier the forum community consists of old timers, which we already know prefer the v1 chests. Bottom line, edit the v2 chests. The majority of people don’t want the v1 chests, only the majority of forumers do. What I want you guys to discuss is what we value more, fun gameplay, or balanced gameplay. So which is it?

TL;DR?
Read the sections I bolded, they are the most important.

People I want opinions from:

@The Arena Master
@Forairan
@ChadTheDJ
@HalfSquirrel
@Virtual

Last edited:

Theoretical

District 13
Reaction score
I think I'd like a middle ground. A bit less stuff might be nice but you make a good point.
Well of course we do, but where do we start? I think we should start with v2, and edit it. That's my main point to get across.

Reaction score
I value fun gameplay more, I am pretty sure most people do but I find the V1 chests alot more fun to play because it encourages more pvp, I spend alot more time fighting in games with the update on then I do on regular v2 games. I also spend alot more time taking on challenging fights where people have better equipment than me. The reason I fight alot more is because after hitting a few chests I am low on food and equipment and the best way of getting more stuff is by taking on people who have also hit a few chests. I also don't think it is fair to say that V2 has better gameplay because it doesn't V1 does, it has more complex gameplay with alot of different aspects to it where as V2 is just pvp there is nothing else really to it as making a chest route isn't hard and that is the only other thing you have to do. With the V1 chests you have to explore, manage your food and learn to deal with pvp when you have equipment that is not what you would ussually use.

All that being said I do still enjoy V2 just not quite as much as V1.

Edit: The poll should really be do you prefer complex gameplay or pvp orientated gamemplay?

Last edited:

Virtual

District 13
Reaction score
I really enjoy the V1 chests more. It gives you the feeling "What do the others have?.." as you're going into deathmatch (throughout the game, for that matter). With the V2 chests, there is a lot more PvP, which I enjoy. But when it gets right to it - I prefer V1 because personally, I like to have a "scavenge" feel to the game, but others may disagree - which is just fine. You make a very, very good argument and point, Theo. I voted for more fun, but I do prefer V1 because of 1.) Nostalgia and 2.) Scavenging can make the game a bit more interesting. If they went back to V2, I guess I wouldn't be that upset, but I would be a little disappointed - but I'd get over it.
Note: Forairan nerfed the Tier 3s.

TL;DR: Nope.
Theo, we all know you just want your abundance of Flint & Steel. >:3

EDIT: I kind of agree with you, we should start with V2 chests. But if they keep the chest update, I'm happy with it.

Theoretical

District 13
Reaction score
I just can't agree... I will never like the v2 chests. It's just too... Easy...
You make a well rounded argument though, Theo.
Again, I wouldn't be upset with either decision. I just felt like I needed to introduce the other side to the forum community because I lot of people, not naming names have been insulting those who don't find the v1 chests, "better."

-----------------------

@TheOfficialWils

I value fun gameplay more, I am pretty sure most people do but I find the V1 chests alot more fun to play because it encourages more pvp, I spend alot more time fighting in games with the update on then I do on regular v2 games.
The community has agreed that with the v1 update more time of the game is spent gathering items. If more time is spent gathering items, how do you have time to PvP more?

Another point is, there are all new chest-routes which people have to discover in the new update. Chest-routes cause PvP. They bring people together. How are you getting into more fights when the community hasn't determined these routes yet, the update being so new?

The reason I fight alot more is because after hitting a few chests I am low on food and equipment and the best way of getting more stuff is by taking on people who have also hit a few chests.
Huh, I'm confused. In v2, there was an excessive amount of food. In v1, there isn't. So, I'm assuming the reason you're low on food is due to the v1 chests, right? But in that case, isn't everyone? Sure, some might be luckier then others, but that's just it luck. You can't base an argument off of luck.

I also don't think it is fair to say that V2 has better gameplay because it doesn't V1 does, it has more complex gameplay with alot of different aspects to it where as V2 is just pvp there is nothing else really to it as making a chest route isn't hard and that is the only other thing you have to do.
Okay, okay... that would be a good topic sentence... You just need evidence.... I mean, sure you can say it, but where's your proof? PvP is never the same. It is very rare to have two battles that are the same, I'm sure we can all agree. PvP makes for interesting gameplay, because again, it's never the same. If v2 is just PvP, wouldn't that make it more fun? Or interesting? Or, complex?

Also, what aspects does v1 have that v2 doesn't? Sure they have different doses of aspects -- but it's the same game.

With the V1 chests you have to explore, manage your food and learn to deal with pvp when you have equipment that is not what you would ussually use.
With v2 chests you also have to explore, and PvP... the only difference is the managing of the food. Yes, there is less food in v1, and even I agree v2 has an excessive amount.

One question I would like to ask. The new chest update has been introduced to US1-10, which are pretty much always full with donors. You not being a donor, how have you had the chance to play enough games to make this agruement? V2 has been around longer then the original v1, so my points are easier to make.

-----------------------

I just can't agree... I will never like the v2 chests. It's just too... Easy...
You make a well rounded argument though, Theo.
Thanks, but again, my arguement never was to KEEP the v2 chests. I know there are many problems with them. That being said, I think they are better then chest update chests because they offer better gameplay. What I would be happy seeing is the v2 chests edited, and then that being the update.

Last edited:

HalfSquirrel

Diamond
Reaction score
I agree with RC. We definitely need a balance, in between the V1 chests and the V2 chests.

I far prefer V1 chests. I'm also an old timer, and I liked it more the way it was. But with all the people in our in-game community that don't like this way, we should compromise and have a spot in between. I believe that the in-game community hasn't fully experienced the old chests, and honestly I bet a large portion of the voters hadn't even tried the chest update servers. I think we need to get a legitimate voice from the in-game community, be sure all the voters have tried it, and also give the update time to settle in so they can generate a full opinion.

Only then will I honestly believe them if they vote the way they have been now. But because nothing like that will end up happening, I think there is a place in between where we can meet up and decide on the best chest loot possible.

I think one of the best ways to do this would be to have another of those polls, like we did when determining the V2 chest items, but a more efficient version. With that poll, we were forced into having 5 arrows in a chest because voting for 1 arrow per chest wasn't an option. Then, when told we voted for this in a poll, we told them it wasn't our fault for wanting at least some arrows.

To improve the system, we should have a place where all the chest items are listed (including amoutn) and organized by tier (possibly also by chance of it coming up in a chest). Then, we can make a comment on this poll thing and reply saying what items we want, how many of each, and how common we want them to be (whether in percents or just saying Rare/Common).

I believe that using this method, though it requires the most effort, would be the most efficient in determining the best items to put in chests.

Oh. Also, congrats on writing this in math class :p

Theoretical

District 13
Reaction score
I agree with RC. We definitely need a balance, in between the V1 chests and the V2 chests.

I far prefer V1 chests. I'm also an old timer, and I liked it more the way it was. But with all the people in our in-game community that don't like this way, we should compromise and have a spot in between. I believe that the in-game community hasn't fully experienced the old chests, and honestly I bet a large portion of the voters hadn't even tried the chest update servers. I think we need to get a legitimate voice from the in-game community, be sure all the voters have tried it, and also give the update time to settle in so they can generate a full opinion.

Only then will I honestly believe them if they vote the way they have been now. But because nothing like that will end up happening, I think there is a place in between where we can meet up and decide on the best chest loot possible.

I think one of the best ways to do this would be to have another of those polls, like we did when determining the V2 chest items, but a more efficient version. With that poll, we were forced into having 5 arrows in a chest because voting for 1 arrow per chest wasn't an option. Then, when told we voted for this in a poll, we told them it wasn't our fault for wanting at least some arrows.

To improve the system, we should have a place where all the chest items are listed (including amoutn) and organized by tier (possibly also by chance of it coming up in a chest). Then, we can make a comment on this poll thing and reply saying what items we want, how many of each, and how common we want them to be (whether in percents or just saying Rare/Common).

I believe that using this method, though it requires the most effort, would be the most efficient in determining the best items to put in chests.

Oh. Also, congrats on writing this in math class :p
Another way to go about it, would be to elect members who have experienced both, and have them debate about it.

kaiomann

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Why can't we have both? One set of servers, maybe like 50, will be "nostalgia" with old chests, maybe mobs and fewer maps. All the other servers can be the usual v2 MCSG. That seems like the best solution.

HalfSquirrel

Diamond
Reaction score
Another way to go about it, would be to elect members who have experienced both, and have them debate about it.
I don't think that's the best way to do it because then most of the people either willing to debate and having experienced both to have generated an opinion on it would probably mostly be forummers anyways.
Why can't we have both? One set of servers, maybe like 50, will be "nostalgia" with old chests, maybe mobs and fewer maps. All the other servers can be the usual v2 MCSG. That seems like the best solution.
Because then people that want to go to a specific server type are limited to a certain number, and that would be really annoying.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci