• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

MCTF2 suggestions

silvah777

Survivor
Reaction score
I was just wondering if it was too late in the development process to suggest more things? I decided to ask here since the official MCTF2 forums are a bit of a ghost town...

Classes:

*Disclaimer*
All class suggestions are the opinions of me, and are based on the current state of the MCTF2 plugin as I know it.

Please fix all glitches ever found. Please fix new glitches that are found with the new plugin.

Scout:
Seems balanced enough. Jump boost would be kewl.

Soldier:
This class is sooo broken there are a lot of things wrong with it. Fix both rapid fire soldier glitches please. First off, if soldier rocket AoE is decreased please give soldiers more rockets. 10 would be usable. Every class except soldier has enough ammo to kill more than 2 enemies easily, soldier has only 6 rockets:(

Onward and upward!

Explosions should not go through cover. This leads to some very quirky map exploits.

Explosions should not do more damage if you hit directly underneath someone's feet right as they jump, or if they stand on the edge of a ledge. This is a consequence of the centerpoint being defined as by the feet, when it should be the head.

Rockets should not be able to hit each other in midair. This leads to people getting their rockets shot by other rockets right as they shoot. As a consequence the person takes damage from their own rocket and the enemy rocket.

Direct impacts should not be weaker and knock the enemy back, but rather they should do bonus damage and still knock the enemy back.

Hitting your teammate with rockets should not knock them back and should not do damage to you. If you are at low health and some teammate comes up behind you and walks through you right as you fire a rocket you die.

Rockets hitting the ground should still do damage to you. Soldiers should take slightly reduced damage from explosives.

Rocket AoE radius should be decreased by .5 meters.

Heavy:
Arrows need to not come from a point behind the player. Give heavy a sandwich. It doesn't have to be much, just an equivalent of a small health pack (iron) would be perfect. Heavy should not be able to be spam clicked, this leads to hackers having more tools to hack with. Heavy should fire at a significantly higher speed by default, but the fire rate should be capped to that.

Pyro:
Fix Pyro glitching. Fire needs to not go through blocks and iron bars and fences and glass panes. For some reason Pyro fire doesn't just go through blocks, it also lingers after a Pyro has died and you take no damage from them you catch fire out of nowhere and all the damage you take is from the 8 burn ticks. Fire needs to not come from behind the Pyro, this is very bad for spies. Add knockback 1 to the flint and steel. Decrease the amount of burn ticks from enemies being set on fire from 8 to 6. When targets are on fire the Fire axe should do 182 damage EXACTLY (7 hearts to a heavy). This would be enough to one shot every class, but heavy has a smidgen of a chance to be left standing. Health should be increased from 125 to 140, Pyro just has too low health, but at least the have some sort of armor.

Sniper:
Health is insanely low for snipers. They get absolutely trashed by every other class. The health needs to be increased from 125 to 150 since they have no armor. Snipers should be able to do headshots to do extra damage. I don't feel like designing a system for sniper shot power at the moment (may edit later).

Demoman:
This class is severely underpowered. Buff melee damage slightly. The amount of damage buff to melee should do nothing extra to classes except when you do critical hits. Allow for criticals to count toward the damage done. This would make demo-knights possible!:D Please fix the behavior of sticky-nades, they leave quite a bit to be desired.

Spy: My opinion is that this class should be removed from the game.
I honestly hate this class and anyone who uses it. It combines two things I hate most in PvP game-types: Invisibility and a one shot melee. Please fix the extended invisibility glitch. Any other suggestions I have for this class are going to be weakening it because of my (righteous) prejudice. Fix backstabbing. Don't turn the sword gold to signal a valid backstab, it leads to the sword staying gold for a moment and when I turn around I get facestabbed because the sword is still gold, even on my client side, it's not lag. Standing in a corner should protect you from being backstabbed. Backstabbing should only be able to happen if a spy is BEHIND someone.

Medic:
I have so many ideas for how medic could work, I don't feel like taking the time to type it (Oh the irony! I know). I just want the developers to make the medigun infinite and medic health to regen by half a heart every 3 seconds. Please do not add Ubercharge!:eek:

Engineer: My opinion is that this class should never be added to the game in the first place.
Camping is OP enough and we don't need turrets to make it more so. If engineer were added, it would be essential to make all engineer building shootable, otherwise no one would ever be able to get close enough to a turret to punch it to death. If anyone has ever played MCCTF they know what I'm talking about. If buildings are added there need to be some serious considerations about them. There are some pretty narrow doorways on some of the maps. The turret and dispenser need to be intangible and people should be able to walk through them. Some sort of indication of which teams teleporter/dispenser/turret needs to be clearly visible.

Gameplay:
*Disclaimer*
Most suggestions made are gathered from suggestions I have seen around the community, with a little silvah spin put on them. Others are my genius showing.

Add a spectator class that can fly and does not block arrows/snowballs with their body.

Get rid of the %$#@ing wool on the head and just make the nameplates red and blue.
Not just the name, the nameplates themselves should be red and blue. Otherwise they would be very hard to see at a distance. This would allow for hats! :D

Give us new maps please. If there are not maps coming with the update it should be made easy to add new ones. The old ones should be optimized. As in they should have the holes leading to the outside closed off. Also they should have all non-essential and non-scenery blocks removed to ease the work load on the servers and the clients alike. Air blocks take no processing power right?

Too much 2Fort. For some reason this map is automatically chosen as the map to play on more than 75% of the time. Instead of it being random, there could be a vote at the end of each round for a new map to play on. The plugin could randomly generate a short list of maps to vote on. Another
possibility is that a map rotation could be instituted and vote to skip be introduced. Perhaps some combination of any of the above.

The current point system leaves something to be desired. It focuses too much on slaying and not enough on objectives. Completing an objective should give you more points. The algorithm that determines how many points one gets for a kill should be re-done. I liked how on the survival games point system the amount of points i get for a kill was not determined on some sort of ratio between mine and my victim's points, but rather on how many points my victim had. There were several issues that I noticed porting the same point system over to MCTF2 would bring up. People who attain incredibly high points would lose incredibly large amounts of points if they were killed by a BS spy or spawn campers. All it takes is once. I remember gaining over 250 points from killing one guy in MCSG. I felt really bad for him because I have been in his place on MCTF2. There would need to be a cap to how many points are lost. With the point cap in place the point system would have too low of a skill cap for only the best players to shine. Too many people would just gain points to infinity and would have higher points than a better player if they just played more. Some aspects about the MCSG point system look good, but the system as a whole would be bad because MCSG and MCTF2 are fundamentally different. MCSG is hardcore and has no respawn, MCTF2 is a respawn game type and the point system should reflect that. If for some dreaded reason the ragequit feature of MCSG what introduced to MCTF2 people would lose tons of points just for leaving the game, there are more reasons to leave than just PvP logging. If the two systems were made identical, this does not mean that the two systems should be merged. What if a super pro from MCSG with thousands of points came onto MCTF2 where he would be a huge noob. He would then lose all of his points and then be dissuaded from playing a whole other game just because they use the same database. This is also true of the reverse. What point total should be used in the hub then? MCSG seems the most obvious answer, but I am an MCTF2 player and I think that points should be displayed for both game modes.

I would like to see new game modes. Attack and Defend already exists, but can you please rename Degroot's game mode to Attack and Defend instead of being Capture Points? Altering some maps to be Attack and Defend as well as Capture Points would be very cool. Payload would be awesome. Rename all Team Death Match to Red vs Blue.

It would be nice to be able to change teams once, or maybe twice per game. Maybe there should just be a 10 minute cool down. Changing team team would be very nice. Choosing a specific team when I log in would also be nice.

Extend total round time to 1:30 instead of just an hour. I have played in some very hardcore camping matches of Capture the Flag where it has been a stalemate at 0 captures for both teams. Maybe this only needs to be done for CTF though.

Fix the lag on Map 4 Orange.

Chests should only work for the team they belong to. Make trapped chests for red and standard chests for blue.

Servers should be added where there are no points (no point system in place). This would be SUCH a relief for us people who take this game seriously and achieve high points, we could all go on there and rush like zerg which we cannot do if we want to keep our points.

Tournaments should be held. THIS WOULD BE SO COOL. It would only work with no points servers and no class glitches. They would have to be moderated.

Please have more moderators playing on the servers. It would make them sooo much nicer.

Make an MCTF2 client that has a cool HUD like they did for SCB and other extremely popular game types.

Add a voice anouncer along with the current chat announcements.

Add more anti-cheat plugins. I see hackers running around. I never used to see this before.

Arrows and snowballs should go through teammates because they always walk in front of you, or they walk straight through you, and they block your shots and lead to your rockets blowing up in your face. This would be fine if inconsiderate players didn't walk in front of me (and everyone else for that matter) constantly. It's the 4th most annoying thing in the game. Right behind spies, glitchers not getting banned, and hackers never being dealt with unless they are reported (why aren't there more mods on).

Please do not make more suggestions. Just make a new thread with your own suggestions!:p

Last edited:

Lively

District 13
Reaction score
From what I understand, the devs are recoding the entire plugin from the ground up. There should be news about it relatively soon.

_MK_

Career
Reaction score
Wrong forums dood, but good suggestions.

RC_4777

Mockingjay
Reaction score
When you say classes should never have been in the game, it's not very good to not include a main class from the original game. I agree they could be nerfed but I'd be a shame to completely remove them.

Intensebrawler

Experienced
Reaction score
Wrong forums dood, but good suggestions.
No, right forums. The MCTF2 website is dead, and MCGamer and MCTF2 are pretty much the same thing since the MCTF2 servers stopped working. Besides, there is no possible way anybody working on the pluggin would see this if it were on the MCTF2 website.

silvah777

Survivor
Reaction score
Besides, there is no possible way anybody working on the pluggin would see this if it were on the MCTF2 website.
This is what I was feeling when I posted this here.

I want to suggest a few more features:

Add achievements. Unlocking achievements should give points. Harder achievements should give more points.

The leaderboard for last plugin only tracked points. It would be nicer if it had more information like total kills, total deaths, damage dealt, damage recieved, hearts healed, kill death ratio, and many more.

Assists never really worked on the old plugin. They would work less than a quarter of the time. I would like to see myself getting assists for every single person I ever damage. On the old point system this would be a disaster and the leaderboard would be flooded, but that is what a new point system should fix.

Infinite water breathing would be a nice boon to normal flag carrying classes such as scout, they would be able to hide underwater without having to breath. I never fully thought this one out.

1.7 is coming out sometime. Resource packs will be able to have separate packs for sounds and other ones for textures. Make resource packs that are separate. Custom sounds would be game changing, but I still want to play with OCD Pack and I am sure other players will want to play with their own TP's while having new sounds.

I thought about having a spectator class some more. If everyone on a team chose spectator the team would have a bunch of useless people. Spectators would have to be considered a part of a third-party team. This ties into auto-switching which I will go over next. This also affects how people get points. The old point system was to only enable points when there are 6+ people on the server. Having everyone on a team turn spectator would add false people to this variable. The 6+ rule should only consider the people on the teams that are actually playing. If people are inactive for longer than 30 minutes they should probably be moved to the spectator team and eventually kicked. If people linger on the respawn screen for longer than a minute or maybe longer they should be forceably respawned or kicked.

Auto-switching should be disabled. I could not even begin to list the number of times I was on a team I hashed together from players on the server and I got auto-switched to the opposing team. Let's say, for example, I am on blue when this happens and I get switched to red. Someone from red sees that blue is doing well and switches to blue before I can. All of a sudden the blue "team has too many players" and I am stuck with red and have to steamroll my old team even though I want to play WITH them. This brings me back to being able to switch teams in the middle of a round. What if I join in the middle of a match and I see a friend over on the other team? What if I join and I see the map that I like to be blue on, but I joined as red?

I don't feel like typing anymore. I hope you (dev's) read these suggestions and consider adding many of the gameplay suggestions.

silvah777

Survivor
Reaction score
I have another suggestion. To help with spawn killing, a 1-2 second invincibility could be added so that you have time to walk back into spawn protection if someone is spawn killing.

I do hope there will be a resource pack and MCTF2 client to go along with the update.

silvah777

Survivor
Reaction score
Some more suggestions:
The flag should reset after one minute if it is not picked up or returned.

If people try to walk into the enemy spawn they shouldn't be repelled, they should die(this seems unfair but it would help with the spawn killing)

The wool telling you which team you are on should be in slot 9, not some random slot determined by your class.

_MK_

Career
Reaction score
Some more suggestions:
The flag should reset after one minute if it is not picked up or returned.

If people try to walk into the enemy spawn they shouldn't be repelled, they should die(this seems unfair but it would help with the spawn killing)

The wool telling you which team you are on should be in slot 9, not some random slot determined by your class.
Gosh dang it, i thought I could accuse someone of necro-posting but it hasnt been a month yet! UGH!

1. Ok seems good
2. Nah what if someone didnt know?
3. You shouldnt have the wool in the first place just look in to your inventory

Intensebrawler

Experienced
Reaction score
Gosh dang it, i thought I could accuse someone of necro-posting but it hasnt been a month yet! UGH!

1. Ok seems good
Everything but the third one. New players wont know to open their inventory.

silvah777

Survivor
Reaction score
Gosh dang it, i thought I could accuse someone of necro-posting but it hasnt been a month yet! UGH! I am a huge willy loving emo kid!

1. Ok seems good
1. mhm
2. They would learn fast if they weren't special. Trust me, spawn killing is a huge problem this would help.
3. Have you even played this? The wool is like the best thing ever, but it's in the wrong spot.

I have 2 more suggestions:

There should be a way to drop the flag if you're carrying it in CTF. It would be quite nicer than using /kill to hand off a flag.

The flag shouldn't fly in some random direction when the flag carrier dies it should reappear on the block they died on, if they die in midair it should have the same trajectory.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci