• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Guide How to Write an Amazing Moderator Application

Can you become a Mod?

• Yes

• No

• Potato

Results are only viewable after voting.

Joey

Staffing Team Lead
Reaction score
How to Write an Amazing Moderator Application

The Basics:

The application process on the MCGamer Network is an interesting process. To begin with, you have to write an application. Then, you either get declined, or you get pushed into the pending stage. After that, the Sr Staff members will look at your Moderator Application and decide whether or not you should be pushed onto the interview stage.

If you find yourself getting constantly declined, or you just want some helpful hints on what your application should look like, then this thread will be useful in assessing many of your concerns.

If your application is poorly written or it is hard to follow your points, it is likely that your application will be declined. There is another problem besides how well your application is written, though. Your presentation has to be tasteful as well.

Let’s start from the beginning! The Moderator Application template can be found here! When you go to that link, you will be taken to the page that lists the current positions that someone can apply for at MCGamer!

Make sure to read through this whole section, otherwise you may get confused later on! Make sure that the template provided here is the template that you follow. Following any other template besides this one will result in the immediate decline of your application.

Here is some explanation to some of the points made in the description of the moderator position!

Great! So, you still want to apply for the moderator position at MCGamer? That’s great! Let’s get you started on actually writing your application! Copy the template provided and then click on the button that says “Apply Here”! Click on the button that says “Create New Thread” and you are well on your way to creating your Moderator Application!

Title the thread with your Username, followed by a hyphen and the words “Moderator Application”. For example, mine would be “Jodimo - Moderator Application”!

Paste the whole template into the thread that you are writing. Alternatively, you may write your application in a separate document such as Microsoft Word or Google Docs and then copy and paste your application later! Your page should look similar to this:

Now is the moment that you finally start to show us what you are made of!

How do I format my Moderator Application?

There are many ways to decorate your threads on the forums, but as you would do with any professional application, I suggest keeping your formatting simple and easy to read. I would also leave the font at the same size that it started at, a nice size that is easy to read and less of a struggle.

If you follow this advice, your application should look similar to this:

This type of formatting is the easiest for us Sr Staff members to read. The following examples of applications are examples that you should not follow as they cause a large amount of pain in the eyes, and they are just not enjoyable to read.

(Yes, we get these from time to time, please do not send an application like this one)

Like I said, just keep things as simple as you can and your formatting should be fine.

Also, while you are writing your application, do try to space your questions out and space out separate paragraphs. This is important because it is quicker and easier to read a smaller block of text rather than a longer block of text, even if each block has the same words in it.

Here, I show you this:

The text on the right is much easier for a Sr Staff member to read than the text on the left. I also encourage you to bolden the question, but not your answers.

This format of your application could help you get your points across as well as help us to understand your application better. Instead of searching for the end of your application, we will be looking for the main points.

What do the questions mean?

It is important to know what we are looking for in your answers to the questions in your application. Here, I will give you some helpful hints as to what we are looking for.

Your name:
Your age:
Your current Minecraft username:
Do you have any alt. accounts? (If so please list them):

These are the easiest questions on the application. They help us to get to know you better as well as allow us to know the basics about you. For your name, we would like to know your real name. For your age, we would like to know your real age (lying about your age could result in immediate demotion or decline). For your current Minecraft username, we would like to know the account that you would like the Moderator rank to be assigned to should you be accepted.

What languages (other than English) do you know, and to what level [Optional]?:
Do you own the microphone you are using?
Do you have the ability to record video without lag, and upload that video to youtube in a timely manner (within 1 hour of completing recording)?
Where are you located? (Time zone):

These questions allow us to find out a bit more in depth information about you. The only language required to become a Moderator on the MCGamer Network is English. You must also own the microphone that you use as you must always be able to speak and communicate. As a Moderator, you will be recording evidence of rule breakers, we would like to know if you can get evidence uploaded in a reasonable amount of time. Your timezone would be used to know when you may be available.

How much time per day are you willing to assist in the moderation of our platforms?

We would like to know how much time per day you will be able to help us keep the community safe!

How long have you been playing Minecraft?

A general knowledge of Minecraft is useful, but it is not necessarily required.

How long have you been a member of the MCGamer community?

Though we love to see new faces apply for staff on the MCGamer Network, it is also nice to see some old faces as well!

Are you involved with any clans, or have been in the past? If so, please list them here:

It is just for our reference. If you are part of a blacklisted clan, you may not become a staff member until you leave the blacklisted clan.

Do you have any bans on our servers? (If so, explain. If you have had a successful ban dispute, please provide a link):

If you have a ban on our server, the ban must be over nine months old and expired before you may apply for the Moderator position. Until then, you may not apply.

Have you filed any Report Abuses on our system? If so, please provide a link to the most recent closed Report Abuses that you have filed. (Maximum of ten, please)

We would like to know that our applicants know what to look for and how to find rulebreakers. It is not required that you have posted Report Abuses before, but it is highly recommended.

Have you been a member of another community’s staff, or have relevant work experience? If so, please describe your experience. (Be sure to include your position, server name, length of time served, and a link to the community’s website if available):

We always look for experience. As stated earlier, work experience is not required, but it is suggested. If you do not have experience at a Minecraft server, but you do have volunteer or work experience outside of Minecraft, do feel free to share them here.

In each scenario, assume that you are in a Moderator position. Briefly explain to the best of your abilities how you would respond to each situation.
You are playing a game and you see a player whose actions seem suspiciously like hacking. However, you are not quite certain. What do you do?
A player on the forums publicly accuses you of abusing your powers. They claim to have proof, and are demanding that you be fired. What do you do?
Two players on our TeamSpeak are verbally fighting in a public channel with 5 other people, and things are getting out of hand. What do you do?
You are watching the newest video of your favorite MCSG streamer, who happens to be a VIP on the MCGamer network. Suddenly, you realize the streamer is using a hacked client during their games of MCSG. What do you do?
A player is in the hub, incessantly spamming an annoying phrase over and over again. How would you handle this player, and what punishments would you use if they persistently spammed? Assume that the player continues to spam after each successive punishment.

These are the scenario questions that applicants must answer. I am not allowed to elaborate much here, but I would suggest putting yourself into a Moderator’s shoes. How do you think a Moderator would handle this type of situation? Do you agree with them?

Why do you want to be a moderator on the MCGamer Network?
Why do you believe you are qualified to be a moderator on the MCGamer Network?
Have you attended any MCGamer Events before? If so, describe your experience with each.
How would you like to see the MCGamer community improve?
What are 3 qualities you have that you feel you could be improved upon?
If you were given the chance to be a moderator, what would your top three goals be?

These questions are highly personal questions that I cannot give you advice on. You must answer these questions to the best of your abilities, and preferably in full sentences.

The final thing to do when you write your application is to sign the agreement at the bottom by replacing {Your Name Here} with your actual name.

This is what it should look like:

Now that I have posted my application, what do I do?
Wait

After posting your application, the Sr Staff will look at your application. When someone reads your application, you will either be pushed to the Pending stage, or you will be declined.

The Pending Stage:

The Pending Stage is a complicated stage where the Sr Staff review your application. If the Sr Staff team likes your application, you will be pushed into the Interview Stage. However, if the Sr Staff team does not like your application as it still has some kinks that need to be worked out, then your application will be declined. If you were declined, I suggest looking back at your application and figuring out where it could possibly be improved and trying again.

The Interview Stage:

The Interview Stage is a stage of the application process that involves you coming online to our TeamSpeak server and getting interviewed by the Sr Staff team. You must go through the interview to become a Moderator, and the interview must occur on our TeamSpeak server, no exceptions.

I was declined! What does my message mean?

If you were declined, the message is probably similar to one of the following.
My apologies, but your Moderator Application has been Declined, as you have not used the correct format for your application.

Please refer to this link in order to find the correct application template: http://www.mcgamer.net/threads/help-wanted-current-available-volunteer-staff-positions-mcgamer.7389/
This response simply means that you did not follow the format that you were meant to for the application process.
My apologies, but your Moderator Application has been Declined due to the fact that you have had a previous ban on our network within the past 9 months that has not been pardoned. Due to this, you may not apply for this position again until it has either been pardoned or has been expired for 9 months.
This response means that you have a ban on our network within the past year that has not been pardoned. You may want to take a trip over to the Ban Disputes section.

My apologies, but your Moderator Application has been Declined as you are underage.

You may reapply once you have reached the required minimum age to become a staff member (14 Years Old).
This response means that you are under the age of 14. There is not currently a way for someone under the age of 14 to become a staff member.

Your application has been Declined as parts of your application was forged off of another person’s.
This response only occurs when you forge your application. Forging an application will result in permanent denial from the Moderator position.

I regret to inform you that your application has been Declined as the answers you have provided do not meet the high standards for staff members. Try elaborating!
This response specifies the sections that could be improved on and probably has the most helpful tips towards perfecting your application. Definitely go back and elaborate in the sections that you are asked to elaborate.

Tips and Tricks:

DO’S:

DO use correct grammar and spelling while writing your application!

DO ask questions! As long as you aren’t asking for help on your Moderator Application, you will be fine!

DO join in on discussions! It will help you get to know the people that you will be assisting in the future.

DO know the rules before applying. I cannot stress this enough!

DO read the frequently asked questions page on the forums. It can be located here. It will help you along and possibly help others in the hub if they need extra help.

DO spend time in all of the game modes that MCGamer has to offer. Knowledge of the different types of games that we have is very useful.

DO use kind language on the server. You can expect us to look into your chat history and we can see if you have said anything that should not have been said.

DO be honest about anything that is complicated. If there is a situation that you believe may hinder your chances of becoming staff, it is better to tell us rather than having us find out.

DO be sure to remain confident and positive! The process isn’t easy, but it is well worth it. -crafter409

DO follow the rules! Even if you make it to the interview stage, it does not exempt you from the rules.-Axanite

DO be active on TeamSpeak, forums and in game, interact with the staff and community members, and get a general feeling of how the community works! -Axanite

DO try your hardest. Even if you don’t succeed at first, it is important to show how much you want to help the community! -Giggity69Goo

DO be friendly and chat with whoever wants to talk to you! -MisiLica

DO attend community events! -MisiLica

DON’T’S:

DO NOT harass the Sr Staff, trying to get them to read your application.

DO NOT let anyone help your with your application. You should also not ask for help. This will hinder your chances of becoming a staff member, and further action may be taken.

DO NOT avoid telling the Sr Staff about your alternate accounts.

DO NOT think that it will be an easy journey, there is a lot to it. -OhFancy

DO NOT lie. Lying will only put you in a worse state and lessen your chances! -MisiLica

What do I do now?

Now that you have read all of this guide, go forth, and write an application! I look forward to seeing you join the staff team!

Credit goes to Shelby, also known as LadyOfLove, for the original thread. It has been rewritten due to information that is out of date. Also, thank you to the staff members that helped with the Tips and Tricks section. If you have any messages or tips to add, do feel free to edit them in to either the DO's or DON'T's section.

This entire guide has also been translated to Turkish thanks to CreepyVeteran! If you would like to, make sure to check out the guide Here!

This entire guide has also been translated to Spanish thanks to Tafallita! If you would like to, make sure to check out the guide Here!

And as a final message from Ceroria: To all future mods, (first off, congrats!) but in all seriousness do not lose focus. You're here for a reason, and that is to assist people with answering their questions and dealing with rule breakers. This means do not ignore Forum PMs, TeamSpeak pokes, or requests for help ingame because once someone calls for help, they become your top priority :)

Last edited:

DerpyBadger

Survivor
Reaction score
Amazing thread, this is really good to inform people on how to apply and it's really detailed. Well done :p

Joey

Staffing Team Lead
Reaction score
I won't get accepted anyway, lol.
Using the cute turtle in PlazaGames's signature as a prop here. Slow and steady wins the race. You might not get it on your first, second, or even third try, but if you keep trying and show that you are dedicated, then you will get it eventually. The attitude you have about it is not the type of attitude that you should have for something that you want. If you want to become a Moderator, by all means, I want you to be a moderator as well, and there's nothing stopping you from at least trying to get it.

I was declined for Moderator 3 times, 2 with really bad applications that I will admit, definitely did not show true dedication or want for the position. But the third time I was declined, I gave it my all, and when I got to the interview stage, I figured out that I wasn't ready, so I took a hiatus from applying and tried again in March of 2014. I learned all that I could about the comunity and ended up getting accepted.

The fact of the matter is, I wouldn't have gotten Moderator if I just gave up after three tries. I was motivated to try again. Maybe you should try to find something that motivates you to try again? I support you!

There is not a reason to give up. Fight for it, and you'll get it.
Yes, what Plaza said!

jtmboy

Diamond
Reaction score
Thank you Joey for making an amazing guide!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci