• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Help replacing motherboards on system.

BaccaBoy1999

Platinum
Reaction score
As title says, I am replacing motherboards, but I want to preserve programs on my hhd, as well as my current windows 7.

Can someone who has either done this before or actually knows what they're talking about go into detail about this?

I will love you long time.

sidenote, I'm also gonna replace my cpu with my motherboard, tell me when to change that out.

MoLoToV

Platinum
Reaction score
Basically the motherboard is what holds everything together in your PC, so by replacing that you'll have to take the whole PC apart. Just search up some tutorials on youtube on how to assemble a PC and just do it the other way around, or there might even be videos showing on how to replace the motherboard.

BaccaBoy1999

Platinum
Reaction score
Basically the motherboard is what holds everything together in your PC, so by replacing that you'll have to take the whole PC apart. Just search up some tutorials on youtube on how to assemble a PC and just do it the other way around, or there might even be videos showing on how to replace the motherboard.
Should've clarified, I know how to physically replace it, but I don't know how to prepare my sistem so nothing gets messed up, since your copy of windows is tied to your motherboard.

MoLoToV

Platinum
Reaction score

SilverFlames

Diamond
Reaction score
Remove everything that is connected to the motherboard. (ez). Do some research on the the mother board that you are going to buy. It usually depends on the cpu you have ( AMD or Intel). Their should be a torturial on installing the motherboard on youtube if you just type in the name of the motherboard since their are so many PC builds on there. If you are going to change your cpu to your amd cpu, get the AMD FX 6300 (100 dollars) or FX 8000 seris ( about 50 dollars more.) Get any AM3+ motherboard. examples are http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009FC3YJ8?keywords=am3 motherboard&qid=1453385512&ref_=sr_1_1&s=pc&sr=1-1 OR A BETTER ONE https://www.amazon.com/MSI-970-GAMI...id=1453385512&sr=1-3&keywords=am3+motherboard. After that their are many torturials on how to install the motherboard on youtube. IMPORTANT WHEN REMOVING AND ADDING STUFF ONTO THE PC MAKE SURE YOU TOUCH SOMETHING METAL OUTSIDE THE CASE EVERY SO OFTEN!! You might need a new cpu cooler too. Ask me further question once you decided the cpu and motherboard

gizmobrick

Experienced
Reaction score
Unfortunately, you cannot swap your motherboard after installing Windows. You'll need to use another Windows key to activate it if you plan to switch to a different motherboard. I would recommend storing all your important data on an external HDD, formatting whichever HDD you had installed Windows on, and setup from scratch. There is a chance I'm wrong, however. At the very least you should try booting from your old HDD after swapping motherboards to see if at the very least you can preserve your files and simply use another product key to re-activate Windows.

Mitch

Platinum
Reaction score
A motherboard replacement will usually require a reinstall of windows.
That is because a new motherboard will usually have a different chipset and the current windows will not have proper drivers already installed. If the new motherboard is similar enough and you are able to boot into windows, then you are good and only have to install the drivers that came with your new motherboard.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci