• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

SURVIVAL GAMES Chests Should Be Disabled In Deathmatch

Do you think chests should be disabled in deathmatch?

• Total voters

Georgey

Survivor
Reaction score
A minor suggestion that I believe would have an overall positive effect on MCSG's gameplay is disabling permission to open chests during deathmatch. I believe this would have a positive effect on MCSG's gameplay because I have found that players, when pvping in deathmatch have a high risk of accidentally opening a chest by right-clicking while trying to attack or fend off an opponent. Accidentally opening a chest during a fight can be annoying, as it usually results in a few things, gaining vulnerability, panicking and losing a big chunk of your health or possibly even losing the game. I feel as if the removal of chest access in deathmatch will not have any major negative effects on MCSG's gameplay as I have noticed from my personal experience that chests are very rarely used in deathmatch. I think that the implementation of my suggestion should have a positive effect on MCSG's gameplay causing for a more enjoyable experience.

NickSharpx ☆

District 13
Reaction score
It would work in a way, but in another, maybe someone is so understacked that opening a chest might be something useful to snag a couple armor pieces or a gap.. You see, it's kinda like wanting to disabling crafting table for the same exact purpose... It's something that happens with crafting tables too but someone might wanna craft arrows or a sword in dm when he's safe..

Georgey

Survivor
Reaction score
It would work in a way, but in another, maybe someone is so understacked that opening a chest might be something useful to snag a couple armor pieces or a gap.. You see, it's kinda like wanting to disabling crafting table for the same exact purpose... It's something that happens with crafting tables too but someone might wanna craft arrows or a sword in dm when he's safe..
I agree with your perspective that there is a chance of somebody being extremely understacked + there could be something useful in the chests for them but I also think that this scenario is very unlikely. If the match has lasted for a relatively long time, different people will probably have checked cornucopia's chests multiple times causing it to be almost, if not completely empty. I think that your comparison of crafting tables and chests in this situation is a bit of a stretch. I believe this because from my personal experience, accidentally right-clicking a crafting table is much less likely to occur during a fight. It is also highly less discrete when opening a crafting table compared to a chest as when opening a crafting table, there is no animation or sound effect (which chests have) to indicate to your enemy/ies that you are in a vulnerable state. This makes opening a crafting table relatively easier to come back from.

EDIT: Grammar + Clarity

SixZoSeven

Community Engagement Team Lead
Reaction score
I've definitely gotten myself killed by accidentally opening up a chest during DM. However, like NickSharpx indicated, given that the corn chests are tier 2, they still provide gameplay utility to players who maybe need to snag some last-second better armor or get that last diamond they need to make a dia sword while the other two players fight, for instance.

Georgey

Survivor
Reaction score
I've definitely gotten myself killed by accidentally opening up a chest during DM. However, like NickSharpx indicated, given that the corn chests are tier 2, they still provide gameplay utility to players who maybe need to snag some last-second better armor or get that last diamond they need to make a dia sword while the other two players fight, for instance.
I agree with the fact that there is a possibility of the chests in cornucopia providing some game play utility to players during the deathmatch, but as I mentioned in my response to NickSharpx, I think the chance of a player needing gear this late into the game + gear still being left is way too low for it to have a relevant impact on MCSG's game play. Another point I'd like to bring up to support my statement of is Separate Deathmatch Arenas. There are actually three maps (Inertia, Avaricia and Solar Frost) that are currently featured in the map pool which are all commonly played and feature their own Separate Deathmatch Arenas. None of these deathmatch arena have any chests in them. These arenas work much better in my opinion as they do still include crafting tables for people who need to make a weapon or an extra armor piece (Inertia actually features anvils which could provide the same 'accidental opening' threat/problem that chests do). From what I've heard, MCSG players have no problem with the fact that no chests are included in these separate deathmatch arenas, so I don't see why regular deathmatch arenas should require chests as in my opinion all they seem to do is cause players to become frustrated and demotivated to play MCSG.

Alyssa

Fabulous
Reaction score
I think in regards to this I see that chests are really annoying in deathmatch, as they can really screw you up. But I also agree that chests could provide that extra edge to players with less gear if someone does stuff up, or also provide extra gear if someone was unlucky during the game (especially if it was a quick game). But I think the discussion could be shifted towards the possibility of creating deathmatch arenas for each of the maps. I agree with george that maps with these features are so much better and the deathmatch just runs better in general. So maybe considering the possibility of adding dm arenas to other maps could be pretty cool! And also gives the buildteam something to work on which I think would be fun!

Georgey

Survivor
Reaction score
I think in regards to this I see that chests are really annoying in deathmatch, as they can really screw you up. But I also agree that chests could provide that extra edge to players with less gear if someone does stuff up, or also provide extra gear if someone was unlucky during the game (especially if it was a quick game). But I think the discussion could be shifted towards the possibility of creating deathmatch arenas for each of the maps. I agree with george that maps with these features are so much better and the deathmatch just runs better in general. So maybe considering the possibility of adding dm arenas to other maps could be pretty cool! And also gives the buildteam something to work on which I think would be fun!
My thoughts exactly. In my opinion there are only positive effects in result of adding separate deathmatch arena's for each map. Like we both mentioned this will cause the issue of accidental chest opening to become non-existent and it will give the build team something to work on. I think that the staff team + build team should really consider custom deathmatch arenas for all the maps as a realistic outcome and solution to this problem.

SirClubs

Another guy
Reaction score
I agree, custom DM are better in general. Yesterday was the first time I've played on Avarcia since the server I played on prior to MCSG, and the added custom DM makes everything much nicer. I could definitely see custom DM's coming to all the maps and hopefully future maps. It probably wouldn't be too difficult either, and if enough people wanted it I don't see why they wouldn't implement them.

Mooclan

Forum God
Reaction score
Thought of this question a few days ago and quickly found a solution that I wouldn't mind.

In Death Match only, prevent players from opening chests while holding a sword, bow, fishing rod, or flint and steel. Allow them to open chests if holding food, miscellaneous items, or an empty hand.
Chests remain intentionally accessible but won't cause an inconvenience mid-battle.

In the rest of the game, don't place a restriction on opening chests. Personal opinion. It's just not as critical, and irritation factor outweighs importance.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci