• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

A newbie's guide to building a computer

What was it like building your first computer?

• I got heaps of static in me! #superman

• It was fun, but I got scared I would break something

• My CPU broke in two!

• Computers? Pfft, I'm a hardcore iOS Gamer m8.

• I don't have 1.5k to spend :c

• I don't care about this poll, dory is love!

Results are only viewable after voting.

Turbo

Spectator
Reaction score
I've never seen this before! Great job man!

IronOre12

Platinum
Reaction score
Specs:
CPU: i5-4670k (OC'ed to 3.8Ghz)
CPU Cooling: Corsair H80i (Water cooling yo)
MoBo: AsRock Z87 Extreme4
RAM: 16GB Crucial Sports Gaming Ram
GPU: 1x AMD Radeon HD 7900
HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda
SSD: Kingston HyperX 256GB
PSU: 650W Corsair
Case: Corsair 750D
Case LEDs: NZXT Blue Sleeved LED Kit
Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry 2 Fan Controller

GoudAlmighty

Platinum
Reaction score
Some more tips off the top of my head for anyone planning to buy parts and build a computer:
  • Don't cheap out on the power supply. You should look to see that a power supply has is at least 80+ bronze certified, the cheap ones that come with cases generally don't have this certification and because of this you really should purchase a case and power supply seperately. It's important to have a good power supply for two reasons: firstly a low quality power supply can potentially damage other components and secondly if your power supply fails you can't really do anything with your computer until you get a new one.
  • Do your research to know what you're doing before you build a computer. I thought I knew a fair bit before building my first computer yet when it came time to do it was still very confusing.
  • When buying a case ensure that it will have enough room to fit your Graphics card and CPU cooler (if you choose to get something other than a stock CPU cooler that is). Cases with plenty of room behind the backplate will make things look much nicer as you are able to hide all those messy cables that no one wants to see.
  • Intel processors will generally perform better than AMD when using applications that don't take advantage of multiple cores (A lot of games).
  • The Speed of a processor in GHz isn't an exact indication of how good a processor is, there are many more factors and i suggest looking up comparisons of different CPUs before thinking you know which is better.
  • Get an SSD as they are god like, don't question the price tag just go for it I doubt that you'll regret it. Paired with a decent HDD you'll have the benefits of both speed and having storage space.
  • One last thing to keep in mind is that there is a certain price range (roughly $700 - $1000 in my opinion) where you are getting the best performance for your money. Sure as you spend more your performance will increase but once you start looking at really high end components the price increase associated with them doesn't exactly reflect performance gain you would get. So It can definitely be a good idea to go for a more mid range build and look to upgrade in a couple years as computer parts are always advancing and becoming better in time.

Captain Dory

Diamond
Reaction score
Hi there, I've just gone through the comments and added a 'community input' section for all specs/tips.
Thanks for all the support. c:

Shelby

District 13
Reaction score
My build cost $2045 AUD total including shipping and handling. Its my first custom build and it's my baby :3

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 3.4GHz
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X F3-12800CL10D-16GBXL 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760 OC Edition 2GB. 1150MHz
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-HD3 Motherboard
Power Supply: Corsair RM-750 80 Plus Gold Power Supply
Screen: 1920x1080, 21.5" WLED
Storage: Western Digital WD Blue 1TB
SSD: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB
Case: NZXT Switch 810 Case White

For AU'ers I'd suggest getting your parts from PCCaseGear.com.au or PLE computers https://www.ple.com.au/ (may want to add to the guide since its handy for people in another region) I live near the warehouse so the parts arrived pretty quickly.

SnoopSean

Career
Reaction score
Thanks for all those tips. Definitely will try to remember this when I get the chance to build my new computer!

thesurvivalmon

Spectator
Reaction score
That is awesome to see that somebody goes up and makes a huge thread just about building computer. Thanks op, will help people understand more about spending less getting a lot more

Reaction score
This definitely isn't accurate or updated. It would be nice if the thread creator updated this!

shoottomaim

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing
MOBO: Asus Z97-A ATX LGA1150
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM
SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" SSD
GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX
CASE: Thermaltake Armor Revo Gene Snow Edition ATX Mid Tower
PSU: EVGA 750W SUPERNOVA G1

My build cost $2045 AUD total including shipping and handling. Its my first custom build and it's my baby :3

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 3.4GHz
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X F3-12800CL10D-16GBXL 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760 OC Edition 2GB. 1150MHz
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-HD3 Motherboard
Power Supply: Corsair RM-750 80 Plus Gold Power Supply
Screen: 1920x1080, 21.5" WLED
Storage: Western Digital WD Blue 1TB
SSD: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB
Case: NZXT Switch 810 Case White

For AU'ers I'd suggest getting your parts from PCCaseGear.com.au or PLE computers https://www.ple.com.au/ (may want to add to the guide since its handy for people in another region) I live near the warehouse so the parts arrived pretty quickly.
Had you built it in Canada, you would've saved $400. rip

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci