• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

A newbie's guide to building a computer

What was it like building your first computer?

• I got heaps of static in me! #superman

• It was fun, but I got scared I would break something

• My CPU broke in two!

• Computers? Pfft, I'm a hardcore iOS Gamer m8.

• I don't have 1.5k to spend :c

• I don't care about this poll, dory is love!

Results are only viewable after voting.

Lastman

Spectator
Reaction score
I was terrified I'd break something thank god I didn't. :p My computer is more a conversion of an old business server though, you can tell from its old xeon quad core.

Miner9823

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Right then, time to work on the brand new, legendary innovation, the pear mac-donalds. It's going to consist of a large variety of applications, such as Flappy Bird. It will have trustworthy links and applications such as the phishy links. Its width will be three micrometers wider than the apple mac! Thank you for the guide, this will help a lot! :D

E

Ephiza

I was terrified I'd break something thank god I didn't. :p My computer is more a conversion of an old business server though, you can tell from its old xeon quad core.
the fact that you have a xeon makes it miles above just about anything anyone on mcsg would have/

Manos

Diamond
Reaction score
the fact that you have a xeon makes it miles above just about anything anyone on mcsg would have/
Nah dude old Xeon is levels below new devils canyon and haswell-e. Just bc it's a Xeon doesn't make it good

WilloWizard

Platinum
Reaction score
I'm definitely building a computer now. I wrote down some parts on my phone already but I'm going to have to relook at them with this guide. Thanks for making the effort, I'm sure it's going to help alot of people :)

J

Joel/MadDawg

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/MagicMadDawg/saved/fMprxr
This is my build that I put together back in June. I think you should add a recommendation into the guide to use pcpartpicker.com. I think pretty much everyone building a computer uses it and it is a great place to compare parts, get suggestions on the forums, and order parts easily. You probably know this already but for people that aren't aware of pcpartpicker I think you should mention it in the guide.

Other than that, very good guide :). I actually didn't know that 32 bit Windows only uses 4 gb's of ram, so I feel kinda dumb now that I am wasting 4 gigs of ram :/

jaykowalski

Spectator
Reaction score
It was terrible first time. I thought i cracked the CPU. But I've just damaged pins :D

PcMafia

Platinum
Reaction score
This is a really helpful thread for people who want better FPS but are not too tech friendly!

Captain Dory

Diamond
Reaction score
I think you should add a recommendation into the guide to use pcpartpicker.com.
I didn't? Oh my god, I planned to write a huge paragraph on pcpartpicker and how good it is xD I'll add it in now. Thanks :3

And thanks for all the thanks :) I'm going to make some changes to the OP right now.

LPG100

Spectator
Reaction score
I would prefer a mentioning of how to be safe with ESD in the guide. One of the biggest risks about building one yourself as a newbie.

J

Jojo

As I really need a new computer (my old one just died today), and I planed to build one, this is an awesome thread, u made! Thanks a lot! :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci